Sunday, December 1, 2013

Gluten Free Chocolate Chickpea Squares

DSCN4370

1 can of chickpeas drained & rinsed well

½ cup all natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)

1/3 cup maple syrup or agave

2 teaspoons vanilla

½ teaspoon salt (optional – if canned beans are salted skip this)

¼ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

1/3 cup + 2 T vegan chocolate chips

Prepare an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment. Set aside.

In the bowl of your food processor pulse together: 1 can of chickpeas with nut butter, 1/3 cup maple syrup, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, (1/2 teaspoon of salt), 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. 

Puree until batter is smooth.

Mix in chocolate chips. Spread into pan and top with remaining chips.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (in my oven I  needed to bake them for almost 30 min – your time may vary).

 


Next time I make these I will try substituting ripe bananas for the maple syrup. From what I could tell from reading on the internet 1 cup of mashed banana = 1 cup of sugar. How many bananas make a cup? I’m going to guess 2, so in this recipe I replace the maple syrup with 1 banana. If that isn’t sweet enough I’ll try addong a date or two (all chopped up of course).

No comments: