Friday, May 2, 2014

They danced by the light of the moon

We started a new series of dance classes last night, this time 4 weeks of Cha Cha followed by 4 weeks of Rumba. Yes, we’ve done the Rumba class already, but since we’ll be missing 2 classes we figured a few classes of review would be a good thing.

There are only two couples in the class, us, and a young couple who seem to be natural dancers. They are both tall, slender and athletic looking. They are very graceful and picked up the steps right away… even though it was their first dance class. Carm and I on the other hand, bumbled our way through the class like two buffoons! It didn’t help that the class starts at 8:30 - my brain has already shutdown by that time! I think we will be more inclined to practice at home this go around, so those young kids don’t show us up too much!

DSCN4858

I received the printed copy of my 2013 blog posts the other day.  I started reading at January 1st and am reading my way to the end. What fun it has been to read back about my trip to New Zealand. I’m looking forward to reliving our trip to Alberta. As I am reading, I have been reminded that my mood does fluctuate, and that yes, I do get back to feeling “normal” – a good reminder for me these days…

DSCN4849

Speaking about going back in time – today is the 27th anniversary of when Carm and I started dating. Twenty seven years! Well over 1/2 my life. Where does the time go, and what have I done with those 27 years? When I had the horses and birds, I felt a sense of purpose. I was living my dream and felt fulfilled. Now, without that in my life, I sometimes feel lost…

DSCN4862

The sun has been playing hide and seek today – sometimes it shines, sometimes it rains… it is difficult to get myself going with the dreariness, but I did manage to make myself do some sewing. I got two small pillows done which I feel is an accomplishment given my mood… You may wonder, given my rocky relationship with my sewing machine, why I torture myself so often. If I figure out the answer I’ll let you know, but I suspect it has something to do with a compulsion to make everything look nice.

 

“They dined on mince, and slices of quince
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon.”
 

~ Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat

No comments: