Saturday, December 13, 2014

Foraging in the City

Thursday was the final WYL meeting for this year, so instead of gathering at the library, we socialized over a pot luck lunch at one of the ladies houses. It was a nice time getting to know everyone a bit better as we sat around a table that groaned under the burden of food.  It was late afternoon by the time I got home - no time for house cleaning what a shame ;-)

20141213_163757-dogs-play

Friday we got going reasonably early and headed first to the Winchester liquidation. They get stuff from Costco as well as other stores, so selection is variable. I found what I was looking for, only to find out when we got home that 1/3 of the candles didn't work - so much for 30% off! I should have just gone to Costco :-/

Next destination was Ikea. We traveled for ages down back roads and highways but we eventually got there. There weren't scads of people so we grabbed a quick lunch to fortify ourselves for the marathon that is Ikea. I'm not sure how long we foraged among the mountain of merchandise, but we got what we were looking for. Well, not everything - I want a "plant" or plant like formation of plastic and silk, for the bathroom. Ikea had some, but they were maybe a bit bigger than I had in mind. I'm not sure where we'll find the right artificial greenery - any suggestions?

A trip to the next province this morning ensured that the dogs would eat for another few months - of course they didn't help us unload the heavy bags into the freezer but they were cheering us on. We made a few stops on our way home looking for real plants - no luck unless I was wanting a poinsettia. Carm was on the hunt for more white Christmas lights - well, I call them fairy lights ‘cause we leave them up all summer - I think he's turned a little Clark Griswold.

The other stop was for piping – yes, the sewing machine is being rolled out from its hiding place for another round of cursing and swearing. We bought new dog beds which do have removable covers, but we feel that a cover that slips over and is a little sturdier would be better. We found fabric at Ikea yesterday; with the piping we should get a good result. Groan… why must I customize everything?

20141213_163718-dogs-play

Earlier, I lay in the tub listening to “You make me feel brand new”, by the Stylistics – a few tears pricked at the back of my eyes. The singer tells their partner how much they have meant to them and how, after a time of difficulty, the partner “makes them feel brand new”. It is so easy to take our partners for granted, and this was a reminder of how much Carm has been there for me during hard times.

This is just a snippet of the song

Only you
Cared when I needed a friend
Believed in me through thick and thin
This song is for you, filled with gratitude and love

God bless you
You make me feel brand new
For God blessed me with you
You make me feel brand new
I sing this song 'cause you
Make me feel brand new

~The Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New

No comments: