Monday, December 7, 2015

I like to walk

The sun played peek-a-boo with us all afternoon and since it was a balmy 7C we decided we had to get out of the house. The age old question haunted us: where. We could go for lunch in Morrisburg, the club sandwich there is excellent. We could drive around with no place in mind. In the end we decided to see if we could find a conservation area that we heard about.

We drove down roads that we don't normally travel, turned left at Canamore and drove for a few minutes. We found it! We got out of the car but there was a sign saying the trails were closed. Oh drat. Got back into the car and were starting to drive away when another car came in and rolled down their window. They were the caretakers and said to go ahead and walk the trails.

The trails were mowed & cut and 'reasonably' easy to follow. We got lost a few times but in the end made it back to the car without having laid a trail of crumbs. It was an interesting walk, through rocky areas, shrub, tall forest and back through grass. We will definately go again.

In fact, I went again on Monday, this time with Christina. I had a bit of an idea where the trails went so we managed to not get lost! The trails do loop around: east, west, north and south, mix up and repeat. Next time we'll bring some crumbs. If I had a smart phone I'd be able to call up a walking app that would at least show us where we'd been.

The previous few days (Thursday and Friday) I dragged myself around, exhausted and feverish. I think it was still side effects from the vaccine, but it could have been a touch of the flu. Regardless, I'd still get the vaccine. Saturday Carm visited his mom while I spent some time with my Dad and brother. It is nice to have a few hours to connect with family.

"I like to walk, touch living Mother Earth—bare feet best, and thrill every step. Used to envy happy reptiles that had advantage of so much body in contact with earth, bosom to bosom. [We] live with our heels as well as head and most of our pleasure comes in that way."  ~John Muir

No comments: