Saturday, December 12, 2015

silver and gold with a bit of blue thrown in

Gosh, where has the week gone? It is like my fingers and brain have departed from my body for more fertile earth. You'll have to bear with me as I do a boring blow by blow of my week. I like to read what I did three years ago!

Monday… humm.. a slow start (very slow) before meeting with Christina for another walk at the conservation area. We had better luck with not getting lost as we were both paying more close attention. I did note that the path wound north, south, east and west keeping my internal compass in constant flux. The sun behind the clouds was the only indicator we had to keep us oriented. Never-the-less, we had a lovely walk!

Tuesday… dogs at the vet for their annual and rabies vaccines. The usual chaos of taking 3 dogs that don't get out much into an emotionally charged environment. Kabira balks at the door, Spike rushes forward to see if there are other dogs to menace. Bella is keen to get into the waiting room. The new leashes are slippery and slid through my fingers like snakes. We had zero control. But at least they were good for the doctor and got their jabs without a fuss.

Wednesday… oh yeah, trip to the city for a doctor appointment, me this time, and a dash into Costco. All boring stuff that didn't inspire any great revelations. I shouldn't really say that as my time with my doctor is often enlightening. I really like her, but she's retiring in 2 years - hopefully that gives me enough time to find someone new. She's the third psych doctor I've had in 10 years.

Thursday… last WYL meeting for this year. Mona brought decorations for the table and some treats that she'd made. The music boxes chimed out Christmas carols (Don may have wanted to run). Next week we are having a potluck lunch at my house. I may already be freaking out a bit…

Friday… we had planned on visiting Graham but he wasn't up for company so we had lunch at Ikea and did some shopping. I got two packs of european style wine glasses - the are short, stemless glasses that could also be juice glasses. Six glasses for $4.99! I got a pack for the camper too. When it is just the two of us we generally use a short glass rather than stemmed ones. I don't know why. Even though we were out for much of the day we joined Trudie & Leo for a glass of wine after supper. I was exhausted when we got home, too tired to sleep.

Which brings us to today. I've got Christmas music buzzing in my ears. Crates of decorations are piled in a corner in case I decide that one more trinket is required, that one more angel or santa needs to be resurrected. I have a mixed feeling about the decorations placed all over my home. On one hand it is pretty, but on the other, it is more stuff lying around and that sometimes gives me anxiety. As I've gotten older I have pared down on what's sitting about collecting dust and impinging my vision. It makes me feel claustrophobic and a bit panicky. But I won't focus on that, instead I'll delight with the crystal bowl filled with pretty gold and blue balls lit with tiny led lights.

Carm was outside cutting down some tree, so with him out of the way Grace got into full-on conversations. Primary question: ‘do you want a beer’. She learned that in 2013 when we left her with friends, and ever since then we use the same phrase to reinforce her hilarity. She must have thought I was thirsty as she asked me a dozen or more times. Come to think of it, if eggnog had been in the fridge I might have poured myself one of those instead of the beer Grace was so graciously asking me about.

You'll laugh about the tree. It's just a small one - 3 feet or maybe 4 - when it is time to put it away I wrap it in a sheet, decorations and all, and carefully carry it down to its corner in the basement, where it sits, ready to be revealed again the next year. Crazy eh!

I might do a crowd funding for a ticket to NZ this Christmas (joking of course, but why do tickets have to be so dear this time of year?)

Christmas always rustled. It rustled every time, mysteriously, with silver and gold paper, tissue paper and a rich abundance of shiny paper, decorating and hiding everything and giving a feeling of reckless extravagance.  ~Tove Jansson

No comments: