Monday, December 28, 2015

It's night before it's afternoon

This morning the sun glinted off the gilded grass and trees. The ice from Saturday night has broken away in place, but enough remains to reflect the welcome sun. A cold wind blew in overnight the setting the temperature at -10C. A big difference from the previous balmy few days. This is more seasonal, but honestly I didn't mind pretending that we lived in Vancouver!

The rain had continued into the morning  yesterday, but by mid-afternoon the roads were dry enough for a trip to Sol d Acapulco for supper with friends. It would have been nice to spend the evening hunkered down with a book, or maybe Dr. Who's Christmas special, but since Eleanor is only here for another day or two we ventured out. A bonus of the journey are the coloured lights adorning many houses and trees along our route.  I love Christmas lights.

Today I started reading one of the books I got for Christmas. 'On Writing Well' by William Zinsser is a well recommended book about, yes, you guessed it, writing well! It's not about grammar (I could use one of those), nor is it about creative writing (I could use one of those too), but is about non-fiction writing. I think that many of the suggestions hold true for fiction, such as simplifying sentences and reducing clutter.

A huge flock of snow geese took off from a nearby field yesterday and I saw a big flock of Canada Geese. Today's cold weather will surely let them know it is time to fly south.

"How did it get so late so soon?
It's night before it's afternoon.
December is here before it's June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?"
~Dr. Seuss

No comments: