Monday, December 19, 2016

the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity

In the wake of Saturday's snowstorm were freezing temperatures, and, of course, heaps of snow. The wind was swirling an icy dance when we went out yesterday afternoon: Carm with the snowblower and me with a shovel. I pulled my coat hood more tightly over my head and got to work. Front step, check. I laboured over the back deck. I was tucked out of the wind, but the snow was piled high with a crispy layer of ice to keep my shovel from slipping easily.


I would have liked to quit, but the sound of the snowblower in the front guilted me on. I could hardly winge out and let Carm finish, that would hardly be fair after he did the whole laneway. I got mad when I realized I wasn't wearing my fitbit. Then the sun came out, luring me to the end of the deck where a narrow blaze of sun sparkled. The low sun cast a pink light over the snow in the field. It was beautiful. I quickly got back to work so that I could get my camera and capture this beauty on 'film'. I was reminded that winter isn't just dark and cold. It is also diamonds in the snow, and beautiful light, and the sight of soft snowbanks. I remembered to straighten my back so I could look up and see the spruce trees iced with white fondant. I suddenly saw the tracks of a lone rabbit. I've been in such a funk that I had forgotten to take notice and find pleasure in Nature's beauty.

There have been other pleasures to brighten my days. Spike is still getting the drops in his eyes and he is so good about it my heart melts. We put a mat on the table that I lift him onto so us old folks don't have to crouch down. I tell Spike that it is time to get his eyes done, and he comes from wherever he is sleeping to be lifted onto the table. He stands quietly while each eye is pried open and a precious drop is medicine is dropped in. He gets a treat and then I lift him back down. He does all this without trying to hide, nor a whimper or a winge.

Are you all enjoying one of the seasons tastiest offerings? I'm on my second carton of eggnog, a special one made with milk and cream and other real ingredients. No milk-by-products for this nog. It is rich and delicious and terribly fattening. I do a partial re-enactment of happy hour on the ship, but instead of two drinks, I make do with one.

"He who marvels at the beauty of the world in summer will find equal cause for wonder and admiration in winter.... In winter the stars seem to have rekindled their fires, the moon achieves a fuller triumph, and the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity." ~John Burroughs

No comments: