Thursday, February 16, 2017

the long journey home

I was going to write a whole post about my journey home, but somehow it no longer seems interesting or something I want to remember (on edit: it seems I wrote about it anyway). It was a series of long flights punctuated by long periods in departure lounges. Except Vancouver, there I had to run all the way from arrival gate to departure gate and was second last on the plane…

My alarm had been set for 3:15 but my internal clock woke me up 5 minutes earlier, and an hour before that, and an hour before that… you get the idea, it was a sleepless night. Once up I did a few last minute things (like get out of my pjs and into travel clothes). A little earlier than scheduled Kirsten and I crawled into the car and made our way in the dark to the airport. I got checked in (with help) leaving Kirsten and I plenty of time for a slice of cake and a coffee. We couldn't sit there forever though and the time came for the last goodbye. I tried not to think about it, or say too much that would make me cry and after a long hug finally turned and walked through security.

What would have I said if I had better control of my tear ducts? Of course "I love you", "I'll miss you", "I like to spend time with you", "thanks for giving me such a lovely time and making me feel so much like I was part of the family" …  you get the idea…

I boarded the Air NZ flight to Sydney and sat belted into my seat feeling the plane being buffeted even on the ground. I could see things fluttering and flapping and wondered what the takeoff might be like. Kirsten had assured me that takeoff in the wind was easier than landing, so I held onto that thought as we took flight.

Still, the flight was uneventful and I arrived in Sydney. As we circled the city I could see the Sydney Opera House below me - exciting! I had a four hour wait in Sydney before squeezing into my next seat. It would be my captor for the next 14+ hours. It was hard, narrow and very confining. Luckily I was sitting next to a nice couple and we all managed to pass the time. I tried to sleep for a while but my back was killing me and I couldn't get comfortable at all. The plane was pretty empty with many sets of seats with one one or two people, rather than the three that was in my set. No stretching out for me.

I was pretty glad when we landed but then had to rush through customs and then security to reach the departure gate. I seemed to have gotten slow people in front of me every time. I ran the rest of the way after security. It seems that my flight was at the farthest gate :-0

I made it on though and belted myself in for another 5 hours of constraint. This time I was so exhausted that I slept. I didn't ask my neighbor if I snored, but honestly I couldn't give a rats a$$ if I had as I was knackered and feeling like a bag of dirt.

We made it on time to Ottawa and I prepared to finally see my honey after missing him for 1 month. I was home, or at least almost home - we still had a stop to make before I'd really be home and the world around me would stop moving.

No comments: