Sunday, September 3, 2017

horsing around

Gloomy would be today’s word of the day. Light is barely able to escape from the thick grey cloud. It’s cold too, and even drizzling a bit - too wet to do our little walks in the field.

It is the perfect day for filling the house with the spicy smell of cooking chili. I made two batches: a spicy soup, and the other slightly thicker with some room for rice later on. I had to make the latter as Grace loves the chili rice that was last week's fubar so this time I made it runny on purpose. It was a happy accident. I forgot the mushrooms on both versions though. I should write down my recipe and tape it eye level beside my instant pot…

The shelf in the freezer dedicated to pre-made meals is full - there is lots on hand for those lazy or busy days when cooking isn’t a priority.


Yesterday was a whole ‘nother matter. It was sunny and the perfect temperature for an outting to Upper Canada Village Horse Weekend Fair. We got there around 2:30 as Carm visited his mom first, but we had plenty of time to see lots of horsey displays. I'll be honest though, it wasn’t a joy filled afternoon, even though it was so lovely. I yearned for the days when I had my own ponies to play with. I miss them and often dream about them and have to remind myself that I had my turn at living my dream and now it is time for other dreams. I haven’t figured out what they are yet :-(

Upper Canada Village is always charming and we were lucky enough to get 2 free tickets so we’ll visit again before the end of the season.


I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.”
~Joyce Kilmer

No comments: