Saturday, September 16, 2017

evening twilight fades

Fog hung like a shroud, obscuring the details of the landscape. It was early and only one lonely guy was stirring. I crunched along the gravel lane giving the dogs opportunity to stop when needed. Aside from my footsteps, there was a hush: no birds sang or crickets chirped. If I wasn’t so tired it would have been beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful the last few days have been glorious and today is shaping up to be the same. It has been hot with skies so clear they look unreal. This week of Indian Summer (can we still say that?) has been a blessing after such a crappy summer.

Did I write about Wednesday? Carm played golf and I played house in our little villetta. Thursday we did some shopping in the nearby town and then went to Upper Canada Village for a walk around. It was pleasantly quiet as we strolled up and down the dirt roads. The vegetable gardens are past their peak but we still got glimpses of goodness. We skipped having lunch there, instead coming back to camp for our healthy, low-cal meal. We had a good day eating wise (although the scale didn’t agree).

Friday Carm was up at the crack of dawn to meet his golfing friends at a far-away course. My treat was a visit from my Mom. We had a lovely day together (as we always do), and before you knew it Carm was back from the far reaches of golfdom and Mom was taking her leave. We couldn’t convince her to let us treat her to a supper at the Acapulco. The idea was in our heads though so we broke the diet (in a major way). It was the best schnitzel ever. We had fun visiting with Alicia after we’d finished eating and I joined her in the traditional tequila and lime. A slice of lime has never tasted better :-0

My heart is breaking though and occasional tears make tracks on my cheeks. The dogs are not the dogs they used to be. Even last year they were able to make it for an hour walk. This year even 15 or 20 minutes is too much for them, of course it’s been hot which doesn’t help. They aren’t even dragging me off my feet when a cheeky squirrel makes itself known. Spike has slowed down too. It is sad when the future seems much closer than you want it to.

“For age is opportunity no less
Than youth itself, though in another dress,
And as the evening twilight fades away
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.”
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments: