Thursday, September 21, 2017

flitting around in the sky

We are home after a wonderful camp. The weather was fantastic - better than any stretch this summer. I saw on the news the other day that that this has been the longest stretch without precipitation in over a year.

And guess what… we went SWIMMING when we got home. Carm took the cover off the pool and re-installed the ladder, then, with a bit of a shudder I dunked myself in the refreshing water. Imagine! Sept 21 and swimming.

Headlamps are a great invention. I strap one onto my head every night (when we are camping), to take the dogs out before bed. The only problem is that you have a bright light right over your face and all manner of flying insects are attracted. Even some with monstrous long legs and drooling mandibles. Yuck.

I’d been walking the dogs in short spurts to help boost their fitness and I think it was helping a bit. Spike was showing signs that he wanted to continue further, while the other two were not dragging as much. Bella is going crazy for the squirrels again. We haven’t tried for our ‘regular’ super long walk yet though - it is still too hot for that, maybe when we are camping in October.

We treated ourselves to ½ a Basket Case club sandwich Tuesday - it was delicious. We didn’t feel too guilty with just having half, but all these ‘treats’ are stalling the weight loss… I knew it would happen as it is just too easy to be in holiday mode in the villetta.

Oh! This afternoon the dogs and I walked along the little path at the edge of the hayfield. The clover had grown some more and was in full bloom. Some other purple flowers were decorating the fence line. But the most fantastic thing were the 100s of butterflies that flitted among the flowers. A thousand wings flashed beautiful colours in the sunshine. Painted Ladies, bright yellow butterflies, and some that looked like Monarchs all bumped elbows with the buzzing bees. It was magical.

I love it when we are camping but love it at home too.

I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?”
~Zhuangz

No comments: