Monday, September 18, 2017

55

I tossed and turned all night thinking that I wanted to get up early Sunday so as to not miss a minute of my first day of Freedom 55. By the time morning came I was bleary eyed and dizzy from lack of sleep. Fitbit said 3 hours and it felt like it was right. Dooh - what a fine start to the day.

My first walk with the dogs was unremarkable, except that it was one of those perfect mornings with the sun just burning through the fog and not a breath of breeze. It seemed like the whole campground was in a deep slumber, even the pesky squirrels.

Once back at camp I dug out the day old Upper Canada bread and hove off a thick slice that I transformed from dry bread into eggy french toast. I would have preferred pancakes, but french toast is easy, plus I need to save room for the rest of the day's meals.

Hot cup of coffee and then we were ready for outing number 1: the flea market. Right away I found what I was looking for. Two small glass serving dishes that would fit in the toaster oven, perfect for a mound of potatoes out of the actifry. I'm using serving dishes more than I used to as some of the actifry meals are multi stage. I paid an astounding $5 for both (not each).

We returned back to the camper for another coffee, and another walking of the dogs. Then we were out the door for Upper Canada Village where we were meeting Trudie & Leo and Vashek & Marie for lunch. We had plenty of time to walk around the village fair before meeting up for our meal. I had Welsh Rarebit with mushrooms and cheddar cheese on thick UCV bread. Yum.

We returned back to the camper for another walking of the dogs and a nap for me. Later in the afternoon the big tree at the side of our site was casting the most delicious shade. I pulled my chair over and enjoyed the view of the water. Before long we fed the animals, then we were out the door for the Acapulco restaurant for supper. Trudie & Leo were already there and had decorated the table with birthday decor. The rest of the evening was spent talking and eating, talking and eating. Alicia (owner) brought over a tray of shrimp appetizers, then I had schnitzel, then birthday cake… I'm up a few pounds today.

I haven't mentioned that we were blessed with hot sun all day, as nice as any summer day we had this year.

The rest of my family was in Montreal, celebrating Olaf's birthday. We didn't feel we could go, especially with the heat. Neither leaving the dogs for several hours in the camper, nor bringing them with us in the truck, seemed like good ideas. We'll catch up with everyone some other day.

All in all it was a perfect day to turn 55.

No comments: