Wednesday, December 19, 2018

I (don't) swear

No swear words joined the triumph of the skies this afternoon.

Hark the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

Peace on earth prevailed, or at least peace in the kitchen. Hark! The shortbread was perfectly tender and just on the verge of turning brown. This has not happened in recent history; for the last few years they've either been burned or raw, but this year! success! The new stove is proving it's worth everytime it is used. I wonder how the yorkshire pudding will turn out this New Years?


I had every light on in the kitchen for this endeavour: two bulbs above the sink, 4 in the middle of the room, and 10 over the island... thank goodness for LED! The kitchen would have been 100F if they had been incandescent - I wouldn't have needed the stove :-0

'Why every light' you might ask? Because there is a thick layer of cloud between me and the blessed sun and I needed to fight the gloom for a little while. It was bright and cheery with carols on the stereo, my little tree twinkling, and the lovely smell of suger and butter cooking. Oh yeah. Sugar and butter. So long waistline. So long cruise wardrobe.

It always amazes me what you can make with some flour, butter, and milk: cookies, yorkshire pudding, biscuits, pancakes, a few extra ingredients and you have bread. None of it good for you, but oh, my, so good. It's a miracle in carbs.


1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Merry Christmas! Sounds like the season is well underway:)