Sunday, December 9, 2018

looking marvelous

The wind tried to drive me back as I trudged to the gate, but I pressed forward, each step a win over winter's wrath. Tears were pouring from my eyes as the wind blew icy breath into my face. The trees roared either in anguish or support, I couldnt' tell which. Perhaps they were also mourning the passage of summer. Be patient earth... huddle down and in 4 short months the warmth will once again tickle your toes.

I was glad to get back to the house and immediately snuggled under my lovely down blanket. It had the makings of being a relaxing afternoon, until,  donk, donk, donk... the musical notes of a dripping tap started to drill into my brain. Jump up... seems that I fixed it... this deserves one of my last gingernut cookies from NZ.


Yesterday I went with Trudie to a shop in Winchester that is going out of business. Colin, the proprietor, has racks and racks of clothes, mostly one off's so I really had to search for stuff. I did come home with a new black & white top, and a black velvet "burn-out" scarf that will be a great coverup for some of my dresses.

The dilemma is what outfit am I going to leave at home if I bring this new one. I could possibly go on a 30 day cruise with all the clothes I have now!

The other crazy thing (speaking of invasion of the body snatchers) is practicing wearing high heels around the house. I totter around and wonder "how the heck am I going to wear these on the ship without breaking my ankle". Standing on one foot is good exercise for ankles too, and I might even try them on the treadmill this afternoon. They do look good though - you must remember Billy Crystal from SNL "it is better to look good than it is to feel good"!


Marie's birthday was Thursday so we gathered at her place to help her celebrate with plenty of bubbles. Eight of us gathered around her huge table for a pot luck feast. Trudie had brought a smoked chicken (I scored the carcass to make soup). There was no lack of spirited conversation - I hope that everyone had as much fun as I did discussing these interesting topics.

Friday night I put the instant pots to use again. They line up on my counter like fat silver drummer boys. Potatoe soup using broth made from the smoked chicken carcass simmered in one pot, roast cooked in the other for a tasty pot roast. My newfound love is potroast. I had leftover coconut rice that I'd taken to Vashek & Marie's the night before which had also been made in the instant pot. The only thing I used my stove for was to keep the bowls warm, and to make garlic bread. We were joined by Pat, Trudie & Leo so we had another interesting night of conversation.


I'm groggy today. At 2:30 am I took a sleep aid as I was tossing and turning and my mind was flitting from one scene to another, the gruesome and the beautiful, the kind and the evil. We'd watched 'the Shape of Water' last night and while good (it reallly was an excellent movie), it was perhaps too much for my bipolar brain to deal with. It tends to grasp on and ruminate over anything that upsets, and there was lots of scenes in this movie to grab my attention. It's really quite irritating - I'd love to watch more movies, but it just isn't worth it, and to this day I haven't found the trick to distracting my mind or turning it off.

It's a bit like an earworm where the brain acts despite instructions otherwise. Even as I write this, and surely the exercise of writing should distract, I am reliving certain scenes. They are likely to haunt me for days.

But enough of the bad. It was a beautifully filmed movie that was a delight to the eye. I don't think any detail was accidental. The theme of water ran throughout the movie, and even the light had an erie underwater feel. Brilliant.


"“Unable to perceive the shape of You, I find You all around me. 
Your presence fills my eyes with Your love, It humbles my heart, For You are everywhere.” 
~Guillermo del Toro


No comments: