Tuesday, September 3, 2019

camping trial

The long weekend wasn’t a big event for us. Years ago we stopped camping on the long weekends - too much chaos from all the people and dogs. Plus it seemed right to leave the sites for people who can’t camp during the week.

Saturday we did pack up the dogs to visit Pat at Riverside, the campground we’ll be at in 2 weeks. It was a bit of a training event for Adia and as always she was great. The two dogs travelled well in the backseat of the truck. She is just like Kabira, lying down as soon as the truck starts moving. At one point she and Spike were both asleep against each other.

Jo Ellen and Don came by one night with their new little bundle: a 1 year old red toy poodle. She was with a family with a bunch of young kids and they couldn’t manage her. She’s cute as a button and I think once she settles in, she'll give them a run for their money! She’s lucky to have ended up in such a great home.

Trudie & Leo were here for a visit last night - as usual we had spirited discussions about everything under the sun. Adia is a little much when there are guests - she has trouble calming down and jumps on and off the futon, never settling for more than a minute or two. She did spend some time in her crate, which is good practice too.

Bella and Kabira’s paintings are done! We just have to figure out a time to pick them up and then they’ll be hung in the living room. It will be bittersweet to see their faces in the house again.

I’ve been trudging on. I have no energy for anything and feel somewhat wiped out by all the events of the summer. I think it is only Adia’s joyous presence that is keeping me out of depression. I’m doing all my ‘things to do’ and I suppose it is helping. No, not ‘I suppose’ - it IS working and I AM feeling good. 


Hi, it’s Adia. I’ve been too busy with my bones and running with my blue squeaky toy to say much. Laura has been trying to teach me lots of things and I think I must be pretty smart to learn all these pointless tricks. But Laura seems happy so I try my best but sometimes it seems stupid and I don’t want to do it. I’ve been going to school a few times. It’s fun with all the dogs, but some of them are annoying as all they do is whine and fuss. I’m much better than that and don’t see the point of worrying. It was interesting to see all kinds of dogs that look different from me (they aren’t as beautiful as I am though).

Laura has been feeding me lots of good things. Sometimes they upset my tummy but I’m getting more used to eating everything. It’s worth it - those chicken hearts are tasty. I could eat lots of them but Laura only lets me have a few.

A few days ago we went in the truck to a strange place. Laura said it was a campground and that it would be our home in a few weeks. I’ve very excited about that! We saw Pat and lots of other people. I was pretty excited and wanted to smell all the grass and trees and everything. Soon I was used to things and walked with Laura like a good dog. We even saw some other dogs that looked interesting. When the people had their lunch in a funny tent Spike and I had to be tied outside. I thought that was unfair but soon there were people walking on the road which was fun to watch. There were even people on funny machines that didn’t scare me. Laura said I was very good.

Today we went to what Laura calls the village. There were so many cars and some big trucks that let out a huge hiss that scares me. Laura helped me feel less afraid and soon I wasn’t jumping when those trucks made the loud noises. Laura says we have to come here more which is fine with me cause I get lots of treats. She helps me feel less scared and I know so many tricks that it makes me feel better when I do them. Some are so easy, like looking at Laura in the eyes, I almost can’t believe that I get a treat for doing that. Maybe I’m tricking her into doing these things. I also got my nails clipped in a little store which I didn’t like at all. The mean lady said that I did well though.

I better go now and sleep because Laura says that tonight is a school night.

Adia

No comments: