Friday, September 20, 2019

clouds overhead

My brain was a kaleidoscope of sensations today. Peaceful easy feeling fought with acute anxiety for space in my head. I think PEF won out, but only by a hair. Sometimes the anxiety mixed with PEF at the same time which is a weird feeling that flips between good and bad faster than a lightbulb flicks on and off.

I survived and I think the PEF did too. How could it not win out with a sky so blue and a sun so yellow? 

Carm was playing golf, so I took the two miscreants out for an early walk and then pulled the covers over my head for another hour, until I was woken up by Adia wildly ringing the bells. Did she have to go outside… well, it turns out NO. Was she hungry… well, it turns out YES. Little tinker but we still listen to the bell until I know she’s not about to have a bout of runny diahrea.

So, breakfast, coffee and then house cleaning. I got into every nook and cranny with the vacuum followed closely behind by a wet cloth. Every surface was swiped, including the floors. It was much overdue… what was the motivation? Company!!!

Spike, Adia and I went for an amble, and then with Spike safely locked inside, Adia and I marched for at least ½ hour. 

Then, with a snowball fight in my brain, I fired up some music and crammed myself into the little spot of shade that we have. Oh yeah. Nice.

Grace was also outside, enjoying every moment. She loves camping and part of that is because of her time outside.

You may recall that I went shoe shopping a few weeks ago and brought 2 pairs home to trial. Well, I picked my favorite and sent the reject back to the store. I trialed it some more, reluctant to make a firm decision, but finally, with a gulp, I stepped outside. So far so good. I wore them to the store. Good. I decided to break them in while camping and they have been so great that I’m thinking of buying another pair. I consider them well broken in so they are put aside for Europe. It is a sort of pedi miracle!

I sat (I don’t think sat is the right word cause I more or less flowed into my chair in a languid sprawl) outside till Carm was back. I lay my head back and watched the clouds pass overhead. The sole of a foot stomped past a giant bird, tail trailing in a magnificent swish. A rat nibbled on a fluffy niblet. It is a special sort of day that reveals so much in the sky.

Another short walk, sprawl, a longer walk, and here I am, in the camper writing this on my tablet.


The first flash of color always excites me as much as the first frail, courageous bloom of spring. This is, in a sense, my season--sometimes warm and, when the wind blows an alert, sometimes cold. But there is a clarity about September. On clear days, the sun seems brighter, the sky more blue, the white clouds take on marvelous shapes; the moon is a wonderful apparition, rising gold, cooling to silver; and the stars are so big. The September storms--the hurricane warnings far away, the sudden gales, the downpour of rain that we have so badly needed here for so long--are exhilarating, and there's a promise that what September starts, October will carry on, catching the torch flung into her hand.”
~Faith Baldwin

No comments: