Saturday, November 28, 2020

an ecstasy

 Yesterday Carm braved senior time at Costco - he said it wasn’t too bad but I suspect he only says that to keep me calm. I haven’t been in for over a month and have no plans to enter the zoo until after Christmas. I suppose Carm will make a few more trips though. At least if it’s just him he can zoom through at supersonic speed.


For most of the day, dressed in gloomy grey, the sky hung low above us. I took my lead and unearthed a t-shirt the same colour - did it cheer me up? Not really but I didn’t actually need cheering up per se although the feeling of blah was never far from the surface. I started watching the Macy’s day parade (recorded on Thursday) but drifted away part way through. I couldn’t seem to settle my attention on anything.



It was wing night last night, roasted potatoes and cut up cucumber filled the rest of our plates. And on the table before us (coffee table for Friday nights!) was an icy bottle of bubbles. A celebration of sorts. Celebrating what? Thirty six weeks of saying ‘it’s friday again’! Any excuse right 🤣 


After supper we watched ‘Call of the Wild’. Carm said he’d read as he knew the story… ha ha… not for long it seems ;-)  It was a good movie with a few tearjerky scenes. I read the book decades ago when I was a young teenager and frankly all but the basic plot was lost on me. I hope I can do it justice now.


Today clouds raced across the sky letting the sun peek through at times. It was warm too - I think it got up to 4C. Funny how that feels almost balmy now!



“There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive.

This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame; it comes to the soldier, war-mad in a stricken field and refusing quarter; and it came to Buck, leading the pack, sounding the old wolf-cry, straining after the food that was alive and that fled swiftly before him through the moonlight.”

~Jack London, The Call of the Wild

No comments: