Tuesday, December 1, 2020

in a pine forest

 Christmas descended on the house yesterday. Not full-on fairies but a woodland setting with garlands and greenery and multiple little trees. I consider these the winter decor which will stay out until March. I pack away other treasures to make room: rocks from our travels, horse statues, plaques and signs. They’ll all be fresh and new when they reappear in the spring. 



Next week a multitude of Santa’s and Angels will break free from their captivity to disburse around the house. Coloured balls and other festive chachkas will also emerge to brighten up the short days and long nights. I would have done it today but I want to spread out the joy (in other words, save it for another day that I feel dismal).


I had been feeling rather good in the morning, but then, as is sometimes the case, some thought triggered a downturn. I fought hard though! My day ended on a high note with a virtual visit with Olaf and Stephanie. 


Sunday was glorious! Stepping outside I could have been convinced that it was a late March day and that I’d miraculously slept through the long winter. Melting snow from the roof tinkled in the downspout, the sky was clear of clouds, and a slightly warm breeze warmed me. Alas, it was obvious by the low sun that it was still November. 


Carm quickly decided that we should get out for a drive (always a mood enhancer for me). A quick call to Kirsten to see if they’d be up for some company then cross-country we went. We had a lovely visit. It was meant to be only ½ hour but somehow stretched into 2 hours. I felt bad that we took so much of their time as I know they had tons to do but it was so nice to see them.


Today it’s been raining for much of the day. The ground is sodden and yuck with unraked leaves. A chill seeps into my bones. Overnight, a creature dug up our compost bin, strewing rotting food all over the ground creating a tempting feast for Adia... she’s such a pig… I just ran out to sprinkle hot pepper flakes over it… maybe that will keep her away!



Tonight we had our first ‘Advent’ beer. We’ll (try) to split a different beer every night until Christmas. We may get tired of drinking beer by then, but gosh, we’ll give it the old college try! 🤣  Tonight’s beer was a red ale that paired reasonably well with takeout Chinese. It’s hard to match anything other than bubbles with Asian food though.



“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.”

~The Dalai Lama

No comments: