Monday, December 21, 2020

a celebration of winter solstice

 As soon as I was out of bed I carefully carried the fabled spruce boughs outside so that I could give them a good, vigorous shake. Then I cleaned the bathtub 🤤



I gave them another hour to dry while I cleared the table to ready it for a grand transformation. I laid a bough on the table… then the other one… it looked terrible. I moved them around and around trying to channel my sister-in-law Tammy, until finally, like magic, the placement seemed good. As I laid out the candles and twinkle lights, tucking them amongst the greenery, it started to look okay.



You can call me crazy but I felt a sort of bliss doing this simple task.




I was pretty happy with how it turned out and couldn’t wait for it to be dark! A taste of ‘peaceful easy feeling’ washed over me once all the candles and led lights were lit, a welcome feeling during these dark days. As I pass through the room a slight smile tickles my lips. 



Of course, with the festivities of winter Solstice, a pagen celebration of light, I clothed myself in silver sequins and slinky pants. Whenever I get dressed up for dinner I think of my Mom who always does herself up when the family gets together - like Mother like Daughter. 😙 


This afternoon Pat dropped by for an outside visit. It was great to see someone other than Carm!



Tonight’s beer was another IPA. The first half of my half was good, but by the end it was cloying and I just wanted it to be over. We celebrated Winter Solstice with a traditional meal of meatballs and roasted vegetables - easy foods to pair with beer so we were surprised that we weren’t crazy about it.



"O light! This is the cry of all the characters of ancient drama brought face to face with their fate. This last resort was ours, too, and I knew it now. In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer.”

~Albert Camus

No comments: