Sunday, December 27, 2020

winding down

 I took yesterday off from everything except a meet up with my siblings - online of course. It was fun and almost like we were all in the room. It wasn’t really, but I guess you make do with what you’ve got and keep going with a good attitude. What other choice is there?



To pass boxing day afternoon I watched ‘Sound of Music’ which is a bit of a tradition, although in years past it’s usually on Christmas night with our supper of a bag of chips. I didn’t watch the whole thing though - I dislike the ending so stopped the movie early. After all, I know how the last few scenes roll out so why do I have to watch it if it makes me unhappy? I’m an adult now (sometimes)!


Carm’s aversion to the movie is so great that he took the time to scrub the oven some more 🤣 



Oh, we have snow again. It arrived sometime after 2am on the 26th, too late to make it a white Christmas. We didn’t get much but it is nicely covering the brown ground, brightening the dim winter world.



Yesterday we took the 24 empty cans from our ‘Advent’ calendar and made a nice stack of them. Carm even laid them out in order, starting in the bottom left. It’s quite a towering stand of beer! We weren’t sure if we’d carry through the whole 24 days, but we ended up enjoying our ½ beer with supper. We had lots of fun analyzing and comparing in the days leading up to Christmas and will make it a new tradition. 



We are on day 2 of a month long lockdown… there are now 340,141 dead in the US and 14,818 dead in Canada. Both the Moderna and the Pfizer vaccines have been approved and have been rolling out for just over a week. There is now a faint light at the end of the tunnel.


Now comes the tricky part of winter, this covid winter… Christmas and all its days of preparations are over leaving a bleak white landscape that stretches farther than the eye can see with nothing to look forward to - no dinners with friends or family, no outings of any kind. Of course there’s the bright spot of New Years Eve, but honestly it’s getting harder to psych myself into believing that celebrating with just the two of us is so much fun.


I’ve never been one to watch TV during the day, except for the odd exception, but I’m thinking that some binge watching might pass the time.


Tonight we are passing the time with Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra.



"Hold fast to dreams,

For if dreams die

Life is a broken-winged bird,

That cannot fly.”

~Langston Hughes

No comments: