Thursday, December 24, 2020

I count my blessings

 It’s 2:30 and I’m finally sitting down to watch ‘White Christmas’, a plate of tortierre in one hand and an eggnog in the other hand. My fantasy of a leisurely day in my pajamas went down the drain early in the day. Oh, I was in my pjs all right, and an apron, as I stood at the counter prepping this and that and nothing at all.



At the end of it all the turkey was debased, the legs deboned, and patted down with a dry rub. Jamie Oliver is no longer my friend as the butchering of the bird left it in an awkward state. In the recipe he talks about a welfare crown… what the hell is that?  I won’t do it again but I suppose it was worth trying. 


The turkey wings and neck have been roasted and are now in the instant pot to make killer broth for the stuffing and gravy. The Christmas morning life saver is in the fridge ready to pop in the oven when we get up tomorrow morning. The onions and bacon are cooked and ready to mix in with the green beans for the casserole. Bread is cut up and dried out for the stuffing. The charcuterie board is ready for supper tonight.


There’ll be lots to do tomorrow for sure, but there’ll be time for a ‘zoom’ tomorrow :-)


Gosh that Bing Crosby can sing! And how can it be that I cry every time I watch this movie even though I’ve seen it more times than I can count?



It’s almost 9pm now. We had our Norwegian Christmas Eve supper of lefse, gjost, jarlsburg, pickled herring, cold meats, and beer. Our final Advent beer was a lovely IPA. Well balanced and easy to drink, it was perfect for our celebration.




After supper we watched ‘Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer’, a must see program. We have it on dvd as it is always part of Christmas for us.


It’s Christmas Eve!!!! :-) Oh, and did I mention yet that it’s pouring cats & dogs?



"When I'm worried and I can't sleep

I count my blessings instead of sheep

And I fall asleep counting my blessings”

~White Christmas

No comments: