Friday, February 18, 2022

more sleepless nights

 Remember I mentioned the last time that the icers were put away… well, after a night of warm temperatures and some rain the laneway is a skating rink. Not for long though as we are expecting 20+cm of snow overnight tonight (Thursday).



We took advantage of the above zero day with reasonably clear roads to dash into the city to pick up a luxurious face cream for me. Talk about spoiled! While we were there I popped into Bulk Barn for a giant bag of jujubes! Will that put an end to the puppy induced weight loss?


Yes, it’s been a month since Lupa joined our family. There are notable improvements with behaviour - she doesn’t put EVERYTHING into her mouth but we’ve had some trouble recently with house breaking. 2 poo accidents in 2 days - yikes! That’s some bad management on our part. I lament that she’ll never learn to use the bell to ask to go outside. Something hasn’t clicked in her brain yet.



And Lupa’s diarrhoea is back. She went a few days without getting me up multiple times in the night but we are back to sleep interrupted nights. Four times last night I pulled on my boots with the icers and got into my parka - poor me, but really, poor Lupa. At least she lets me know she needs to go out - small mercies (cause really who wants to clean out a poopy crate in the middle of the night!). 


It wouldn’t be so bad but it often takes me an hour or more to get back to sleep. I don’t know what is triggering her troubles. She’s been on chicken and rice for 2 weeks and I’ve been slowly adding a new kibble back in. Things were good for a few days but since I’ve increased the kibble to almost regular amounts the diarrhoea is back. So I’ll reduce the kibble again and more slowly increase it. Or maybe I’ll drop the kibble all together for her supper. Argh!


Well… that was all yesterday. I think I’ll start posting as soon as I’ve done some writing and not think that I can finish up by the end of the day!


Today the sun is shining on a freshly fallen foot of snow. Roads are yucky. Carm’s done a good job on the laneway and I did a half hearted job of the deck - I’ll have to make a few stabs at it. I seriously have no energy after another night of Lupa’s diarrhoea (at least 6 times outside last night!) and need some cycles left to make a burnt sugar cake for Dad’s birthday. Poor wee thing. So she’s back to square one of rice with chicken and NOTHING else!


Pat came for supper last night. There were a few times that Lupa sat near her feet looking up as if to wonder who she was and if she was okay. I guess Lupa decided that everything was good as she jumped up onto Pat for some gentle pets.



One of Lupa’s ears is sometimes standing up straight! She looks like a little half bred goon. I hope it stays this way :-)



Awesome!


“gorgeous new face cream that makes my skin feel wonderful”

“looking at the calendar and realising that it’s only a month until the weather starts shifting towards spring”

“police cleaning up downtown Ottawa”



“Joyful, joyful, joyful,

as only dogs know how to be happy

with only the autonomy

of their shameless spirit.”

― Pablo Neruda

No comments: