Thursday, April 13, 2023

a visit from summer

 I was reading some stories about ‘the butterfly effect’ which is one little incident changing the course of your life - I’ve had a few of these moments: one time I was at my friends house and mentioned that I’d have to find a job for my gap year as her father walked through the kitchen… he gave me a job and gosh, I ended up working in the same place for 29 years! 


Then there’s the time I met Carm - the butterflies were flapping their wings hard that day! It started a few days earlier with me looking for a new apartment - my current home was on the 20th floor of a highrise and I hated living so disconnected from the earth, plus I was desperately trying to get rid of a psychotic boyfriend and moving seemed like the only way.


I’d seen an ad for a one bedroom down by the canal so rushed to see it as good apartments were hard to find… I saw it, liked it, and arranged to sign the lease on the weekend. When I went back to sign the lease I mentioned my dog and they said ‘no way’... darn. I left dejected, however just a block away from that apartment, I passed a house where a man was putting a ‘for rent’ sign out. I spoke to him (the landlord), looked at the apartment and said YAY! I mentioned Chetta - Gene wanted to meet her but was fine about her. So I moved into the apartment below Carm’s place! And here we are 36 years later! 


I think I have a bit of sunburn!!!! It’s 27C today! The last tiny speck of ice melted off the deck this afternoon so we deployed the table and chairs :-)  We uncovered the benches, the other little table and swept up all the darn locust seed pods - bring on summer! I didn’t get a photo but we had supper outside!!! Hurrah!


Last night was Lupa’s first ‘Adolescent Manners’ class - yikes! I was slightly apprehensive but optimistic… let's just say she wasn’t the best dog in class but not the worst either. She even had a few flashes of brilliance. She did bark a certain amount… but not nonstop… and wasn’t the only one. I brought her little mat which did give her something to focus on (and be rewarded for) while Michelle talked. Lupa was able to give me a bit of attention when the other dogs weren’t moving but when we all got up and started moving around she lost it a bit. She’s certainly a work in progress but I do have hope! 


Carm installed the new Shaw satellite receivers yesterday only to discover that they no longer have a clock nor do they have an indicator to show that something is being recorded on one of the tuners. WTH!!!! So we had to order a clock from Amazon… huge design failure!!!



Awesome!


“a few steps of loose leash”

“hot summer like day!”

“amazing blue sky”

No comments: