Wednesday, April 5, 2023

decimation

 The winter of 22/23 has got to break records for its weekly storms. Today we are ‘blessed’ with hours of freezing rain. The trees are heavy with a thick layer of destructive ice, that while beautiful, is deadly. Trees are bowed to the ground and many branches have been snapped off. A whole trunk of the tree that the bird feeder hangs from is on the ground.



The rain stirs memories of the ice storm of 1998 although this is just a touch of the severity… it also brings to mind April of 2018 when we were returning from a sunny cruise. We landed (a miracle in itself), took a cab to Mom’s where she was outside chipping half an inch of ice from our trusty Subaru… against our better judgement we braved the ice and inched our way home. The power went out within an hour of us arriving home. Pat was staying over so we all huddled in the darkness and crossed our fingers that power would be restored by morning.


Alas… it was out for two days. It cinched our plan for a ‘whole house’ standby generator! Ironically, today we still have power while Kirsten and Stephanie don’t. I wish we could share!


I thought we’d watch movies and chill out all day but for some reason we didn’t settle - I suppose the sound of crashing trees kept us jumping up to look out the windows. I did make cheese stuffed Naan though (yum!).



After my big whine the other day things have been getting better for me… I (almost) feel back to normal. I guess I could be grateful for the opportunity to practice wellness again 😱


Lupa and I were supposed to start in-person classes today but it’s been thankfully rescheduled for next week. That gives me another week to get her better prepared for school!



It was a beautiful day on Tuesday (was that just yesterday?), so I was hanging out in the grocery store parking lot with Lupa while Carm did some shopping. He parked in a nice open area far away from the store with lots of room to walk around in but after a few minutes a giant truck pulled in right beside us and then after another couple of minutes a car parked on the other side of us… half of the parking lot was empty. The lady getting out of the car said it was too hard for her to park anywhere else when I mentioned, (after jumping out of the way while she screeched into the spot), that I had been walking there. Apparently it’s too hard to back up…


Smile and wave, smile and wave…


Awesome!


“feeling a bit better”

“snug and warm in the house”

“knowing the generator is on stand-by”

“naan stuffed with cheese!”

“Canada”

No comments: