Tuesday, August 1, 2023

binge

 Last day in July… the summer has reached its apex and soon tendrils of fall will start tentatively sending wisps of cold air to push out the summer heat. Already the overnight temps have dropped from 20C to 9C, cooling the pool rapidly back to icy waters. There’s sure to be another heat wave but there’s nothing in the forecast for the next 2 weeks.


I’ll have to conjour up some Viking blood if I’m going to dip myself into the pool!


Saturday it rained on and off during the day causing me to bundle up with a flannel shirt & wool socks… but the bad weather brought us some wild visitors - 3 adult and 7 baby turkeys hung out on the lawns around the house. We kept the dogs inside until we were sure the birds had moved back into the overgrowth below the pond - we might have had Thanksgiving turkey a few months early. 😱 


Yesterday was gorgeous though! Not too hot but nice enough to put the sunshade up and invite Trudie & Leo for a last minute supper. I spent the morning and into the afternoon happily puttering around the kitchen making ‘salads’, not the lettuce kind. I started with a bean & zucchini salad, got the makings for a broccoli salad prepped, and finally cooked up some orzo for a lemony summer pasta salad. With a few sausages cooked in the instant pot and jazzed up on the grill, we had a filling supper.


I’ll do a repeat of last night’s supper at Kirsten’s tonight. I think I’ll try adding a touch more lemon to the orzo salad before I serve it tonight. And maybe some cherry tomatoes. And perhaps a bit more basil.


Oh! The cherry cake that was in the oven the other day when we were hit with the storm was excellent. The cake was a little unusual as it had ½ cup almond flour as well as regular flour but I think it’s my favourite cake so far and I might consider using it as a base for the cinnabon cake that’s a favourite with everyone.


Well, that was all yesterday! Today was a fine day with a visit with Ruth and a nice evening with Nissa. Binge watching ‘Ted Lasso’ - I love it! 



Awesome!


“cherry cake”

“a beautiful afternoon relaxing on the deck”

“rain coming down so hard the visibility was close to 0”

“little grey dog curled up against my legs”

“chihuahuas piled onto my lap”


No comments: