Thursday, August 31, 2023

finally she's home

 2:00 pm Wednesday… I’m back to the keyboard again and back to the hospital after a quick dash to Mom & Dad’s for a shower. Graham brought Dad to the hospital late this morning so I’d left Mom in Dad’s capable hands but unfortunately my timing was off so I missed the doctor’s second visit by 1 minute. Darn.


Last night and this morning were not the greatest for Mom… she was in a lot of pain and had to be encouraged to take her pain meds and to make it worse, the nurse didn’t wake Mom early for her scheduled dose so the pain got ahead of her. Note to self: keep on top of that! It took hours to ‘catch up’... She is getting out for a walk up and down the hall which shows that her strength is returning, alibi slowly.


I had an okay night but had terrible leg cramps so had to walk the deserted halls in the middle of the night a few times. Honestly I’m feeling done but luckily I have an amazing sister to step in so that I can go home tonight for a sleep in my own bed. Mom will be in good, capable hands so I won’t worry about her too much. 


I had a tiny breakdown this morning after a nurse came and got the sleeping chair 😥. Hopefully tonight’s nurse will be able to track one down for Kirsten. Fingers crossed that Mom will be able to go home tomorrow but there are a few things that have to fall into place first.


Thursday 7pm


After a lot of back and forth with the doctors and dietician we finally brought Mom home around 4pm. The dietician was concerned that Mom was getting enough fluids so we’ll have to work hard on that now that she’s home. I’ll build a database! ha ha… but I will keep notes on a white board ;-)


Last night I made it home by 7:30 - I probably shouldn’t have driven as my brain was fried but I was desperate for my own bed. I slept like I’ve never slept before! I felt much better after getting a bit of sleep.


—-----------------------


It’s all consuming, leaving few brain cycles for anything else, and certainly no creative thinking ;-)


The hospital is showing signs of neglect… the visitor bathroom, (which are few and far between), is shabby and looks dirty. The paper towel and hand soap dispensers are often empty. The hospital room bathroom isn’t faring much better and actually ran out of toilet paper :-( What the actual heck! Shameful…



Awesome!


“a hot and then cold shower"

"getting Mom home"

No comments: