Monday, August 28, 2023

s-day

 I’ve written this on and off throughout the day - it’s my therapy so forgive me for oversharing…


Monday morning: 9am… Kirsten and I stayed overnight at Mom & Dad’s as it was an early start this morning. Mom was up at 4am so she could do all her pre-op drinking… I got up at 4:45 to get ready for a long day at the hospital. 


Mom said she got some sleep, and I got a bit too - after Kirsten and I stopped giggling in our room! We had a good belly laugh when I tried to swallow my meds (which is a big dramatic affair) - I think the stress added to the hysteria but maybe not - it’s almost guaranteed that she’ll make me choke with laughter whenever we are together! Kirsten may not have been so lucky in the sleep department - she had to put in noise cancelling headphones as I was snoring so loudly!



It was 5:30 when we headed to the hospital - Kirsten dropped us at the door and we got checked in quickly. I was able to stay with Mom until they wheeled her into the OR. I’m sure she was scared, but Mom would never let on and I tried to keep an upbeat demeanour as well. Full disclosure - I did have a bit of a cry as I walked away from her!


Yesterday was a beautiful August day, a bit cool but sunny. I should have pulled the cover off the outdoor seating but I was distracted and couldn’t settle well. There wasn’t much to distract me so I made a cake and some roasted zucchini to bring to Mom’s for supper…


I made the cinnamon roll cake but added some cocoa powder in with the cinnamon stuff… it was okay but I won't do that experiment again! That's what happens when you try to gild the lily!


Saturday was cooler and somewhat overcast but I did force myself into the pool! Maybe for the last time this summer (already!). Carm’s last day will be later than mine as he’ll likely go for a swim today. He’s even more hardcore than I am - for an Italian, he seems to have lots of viking blood! 


I took advantage of the overcast day Saturday to do a few more things with tomatoes (which are turning red faster than we can use them)... a few days ago I made a fresh salsa that had roasted tomatoes, onion, and peppers, as well as fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and lime. It was so good that I made 2 more batches for the freezer. I’ve been making tortillas with cheese, black beans, salsa, and avocado - an easy supper; and roasted mushrooms with black-eye peas, spinach, and salsa for breakfast - the breakfast of champions!


Friday we picked up Mom’s obturator (Kirsten drove to save me from the dreaded parking garage!), then the 4 of us (Nissa as well), had a little picnic of scones, jam, & clotted cream - a nice treat! 


It’s been a weird few weeks - I’ve been in some sort of suspended state, with reality pushed aside when I could. I’d like to say that I’ve been cool and collected through the last few months but I’d be lying. Most importantly though, never around Mom. I'm trying to model her outstanding approach to life and the problems that arise - I struggle but it seems second nature to her.


At 10:30 the doctor came to the waiting room to let me know she was done and in the recovery room. He said the surgery went as well as could be expected and he commented on her amazing constitution and outlook. Kirsten picked me up at that point and took us for lunch at Tim’s and a bit of retail therapy.



Back at the hospital, Kirsten and I stayed in the waiting room until the sign said ‘All Done’. It seemed to take ages, but finally at 2:30 she was out of recovery and on her way to her room. Still pretty groggy/asleep. Sleep is probably a blessing at this point! It’s hard to see my mom who has always been the rock of the family looking so small and vulnerable…


It’s been a long day for all of us… I’m hoping that the nurse brings me one of those sleeper chairs…



Awesome!


“friends praying for Mom”

“my Mom”

“Kirsten”

No comments: