Friday, April 12, 2024

cultivate the habit

 With the excitement of the eclipse over we are back to a daily grind, well, not a grind, but day after day of sameness as we wait for proper spring and then summer to arrive. It would be easy, for multiple reasons, to get into a bit of a funk but I am determined to make it through these next few weeks with optimism and positivity.


To that end, Kirsten and I walked and walked yesterday, and then again this morning. We've walked over 240km together so far this year! We’ll be able to walk ‘the Way’ if we keep this up 😀 ha ha… It's gotten so that I can do an hour (usually 5.6km) and have more energy than I started with! It's wonderful and empowering. Now if only I could get rid of some of this stubborn excess (dare I say fat), that pads my body. I've been changing shape so maybe I'm replacing fat with muscle, but I doubt it!


I’ve been trying to watch what I eat and have cut out a tremendous amount of sugar and a fair amount of fat. I’ve eaten more greens and vegetables in the last month than I have since the beginning of COVID! We got into some pretty bad eating habits back then - time to make some changes.


We've been watching ‘the Masters’, an annual golf tournament that we watch every year... I guess it’s good background chatter… I have noticed a difference in the crowds and commentators over the years - the voices are no longer so hushed and the crowd is sometimes boisterous - it's not as good for napping as it once was. But there are shots of the beautiful azaleas that are fully in bloom. 


Years ago, just before we got Spike, we looked at a little one year old poodle that I would have called ‘Redbud Ruffina’, after one of the holes at Augusta. She wasn't the right fit for us but we found Spike just a few weeks later.


Just saw a commercial with the soundtrack by 10CC. They are not a mainstream band by any stretch of the imagination and were more of an alternate genre in the 70s, but I've always loved them. I remember being a young teenie bopper in the Kmart on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, flipping through bins of albums - I picked two: 10cc ‘How Dare You’, and the Partridge Family greatest hits! The first two records I bought… WHAT THE ACTUAL heck! I've always had eclectic taste…


Pat came over for supper last night - as soon as we'd finished eating, we were at the tv trying to get signed onto Apple TV so we could watch more ‘Ted Lasso’ :-)  We watched 3 episodes together - I don't mind binge watching it.


Now that the weather has settled down (hopefully no more snow storms), I can get out to the trailer and start taking stock of what changes/enhancements I want to make this spring. Years ago, we would have had the slides out and would have had supper out there at least once by now. I would have even slept out there a few times! I don't feel the overwhelming need to have a change of scenery though, BUT, I can hardly wait till we are parked at Kirsten's again this summer :-) We'll be able to walk in person!




Awesome!


“walking for 90 minutes and still feeling fine”

“my new bra! ha ha - so comfortable!”


Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: