Friday, November 1, 2019

a rush of howling winds

Thursday we were out for breakfast and to run a few errands. It wasn’t raining yet, but the sky was heavy with unfallen moisture. It was dreary. I’ve been suffering from a fair amount of anxiety lately, but suddenly, in the middle of the day, my mood shifted to stodgy grey. I felt exhausted and had no idea how I was going to make supper for everyone that night. I wanted to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head, but I persevered and pushed myself through the murk.

It worked. Task by task (one small thing at a time) we cleaned the house. Bit by bit supper prep was done. At 5:30 the doorbell rang and there was Pat with her cheery face. 20 minutes later Trudie & Leo were at the door. Adia was excited with all the company but managed herself pretty well (no jumping!). We stood around the kitchen island while I bustled around getting supper cooked. 

As usual (and I did remind myself earlier), I always perk up when friends come over. 

Through the night a gale force wind blew up, lashing branches against the house and whipping the leaves off the trees. It was a maelstrom. It was a good morning today for a sleep in.

Today I got myself cracking and arranged the suitcases on the bed. Like a giant game of tetris, I got our suitcases loaded with our detrus. Items were carefully distributed between carryons and checked baggage. Finally everything is settled, with just the hanging clothes to be packed at the last minute. Oh, and I should weigh everything! I may end up like that woman that wore all her clothes on the plane to avoid overweight charges! 

I breathed a sigh of relief on having this pivotal task done.


October extinguished itself in a rush of howling winds and driving rain and November arrived, cold as frozen iron, with hard frosts every morning and icy drafts that bit at exposed hands and faces.”
~J.K. Rowling

No comments: