Saturday, November 16, 2019

chilling along the Spanish coast

It’s a chillaxing day on the Mediterraean sea. It’s not far from being a mirror surface, just little choppy waves break the surface. Out our window, several miles away, is the Spanish coast. We are backtracking from Gibraltar, south to Barcelona where we will arrive early tomorrow morning.


After our showers, and after Carm had assured me that my black and white comic themed leggings were okay, we wandered up for breakfast. I’ll come clean: so far I’ve been taking the elevator up, while Carm takes the stairs… but this morning those darn elevators were fubared so I hefted my mighty weight up those dastardly stairs to the 16th floor (I started on the 9th). I made it!

The seating area was packed - it was hard to find a seat but finally we found one at the far end and sat with the chatty guy from Florida again. This time his wife was there. She has an interest in art so we had a good conversation about Rome.

The outlet sale was today - cheap t-shirt for me, nothing for Carm. I always swear I’ll never get another one, but gosh, I don’t think I’ve met a t-shirt that could say no to.

We had a rest in our room and then went down for coffee and people watching. You see all kinds, that’s for sure. Carm had some lunch, but I’m kinda over food for a little bit… until I saw someone with a gelato… it’s the first one I’ve had on the ship and gosh it was good. 

It’s 2pm now and I’m back in the room while Carm enjoys a few hours of bridge. Perfect for him, and perfect for me. So far I’m doing okay with just a few little blips of mood disorder. We’ve been having quiet nights which is very helpful - Carm’s been sacrificing the loud action movies for some quiet BBC news. I can handle that news - it might be their accents or maybe the soothing music. It’s not as loud and brash as MSNBC, and it doesn’t have their really annoying commercials every 10 minutes either.

At supper last night Carm gave someone my blog info and I hafta say, I felt pretty weird about it. I enjoy reading my blog years later, but I could never expect anyone else to find it interesting. I love having the outlet to babble, and I like reading past posts to see where I was at, but surely no one else would care, especially a stranger that we met on a ship, probably to never see again. It makes me feel extra critical about my writing and I don’t like that feeling! Well, now that I’ve bored you with my insecurities I’ll shut up for a bit.

It’s almost 9pm and we are settled in our room after a looonnnggg supper and a show in the theatre (note to self: asking for a shared table with no more than 6 only works out if we are at the doors right when they open at 5, but not at 5:15. We had to wait ages for tablemates and they were slow eaters which made for a 2 hour supper. Ugh.).

The performer tonight was Brian Justin Crumb, a finalist on America’s Got Talent. That boy could sing. I didn’t care for much of what he sang but he did a version of ‘Creep’ which was better than the original. He really nailed it. There were a few other good songs too, so the night wasn’t wasted! The lady sitting next to me didn’t clap once - maybe she didn’t enjoy it? At least she didn’t just walk out like some people did.


We’ll get a good night's sleep tonight to rest up for Barcelona tomorrow. We plan a walk along Las Ramblas and have a tour booked at Sagrada Familia - excited! Only question is: do I heft along my big camera or settle for the photos from my phone. I’m not trying to win any contests so it will probably be just my phone.

Good night!

No comments: