Wednesday, November 13, 2019

le mistral

Buildings perched on the steep cliffs of Toulon greeted us this morning. It was still cold and windy, but perhaps the Mistral wasn’t as icy as the wind in Genoa. We had our usual breakfast - today we sat next to a chatty guy from Florida - lots of Floridians on this ship - a lady at a nearby table heard we were from Ottawa and dashed over to say hello.


Today’s tour drove us around the port town and along the coast to another town whose name escapes me. Honestly though, we couldn’t tell when one village ended and another began as it was wall to wall houses and villas, many with beautiful views of the water.


We we reached the center of one village we got off the bus and followed the guide through a giant market until we reached the area of coffee shops - our cue for espresso and loo. We had about an hour to wander the market and admire all the boats docked alongside.


I don’t know if was the cold today, or the memory of how cold I was yesterday, but I bought a thick wool sweater to bundle up in on the ship. How I’ll get it home is a mystery.


We boarded the bus for more driving, and yes, to another waterfront town with a few shops but no market. We had another hour to walk around so decided to try the local drink: pastis, an anise flavoured drink. It was excellent - less sweet and cloying than zambuka. I hope we can get it in Canada. 




The temptation of taking a lewd photo with the above statue was strong - and the shiny brass was a tell of all the other people who did.

More driving on the bus, this time through the countryside, past vineyards, olive groves, and majestic ravines. The cliff walls towered over us - I’m not sure if I was happy or scared to see the miles of netting to keep big rocks off the road.




Back at the ship we had our normal light lunch and then crashed in our room till it was time for supper. Tonight we sat with a nice older couple from Illinois. I couldn’t choose between the beef wellington or the lobster tail… so I ordered both! oink oink ;-) We were slow getting through supper so we had to rush to the theatre to get seats for the show. Philip Brown was entertainer of the year for 2019 and put on a good show. He did a great version of ‘Old Man River’.

I am exhausted and yes, fighting off a cold, so I’m very happy that tomorrow is a sea day.

No comments: