Saturday, November 23, 2019

higher than the mile high club


In a state of terror, I gripped the seat in front of me praying that we wouldn’t go hurtling off the side of the cliff as we raced around hairpin turns. We were in Madeira heading to the top of the island 6200 feet away from sea level. When I could peel my eyes off the side of the road I could see that it was a beautiful island forested with eucalyptus, cypress, cedars, and a myriad of other trees. It was lush, at least until we neared the top and passed the tree line.


On our journey we passed under the runway! It had been built on pillars jutting out over the cliffs.


The first stop was several hundred feet above sea level at a tiny pull out. The bus lurched backwards before the driver put the handbrake on… we were parked at an impossible angle… I wondered if the bus would rocket off the cliff behind it. The views were spectacular!



Our second stop was 2000 feet up at a beautiful golf course. Carm was drooling over the greens. Tables were laid with linen, each place set with a teacup and plate of Madeira cake. Unfortunately it wasn’t soaked in actual wine which might have made the next 4000 feet up a little easier to bear. It was a nice cake with bits of orange peel.

After I’d eaten my cake I took a trip to the loo and got locked inside the stall! Jiggling the lock and fiddling with the doorknob wasn’t getting me out but finally (while I had visions of the ship leaving without me), a woman came in and helped me get out. There was no gap under the door or overhead escape route - I was truly stuck in a stinky box.

More spectacular views.


With no little amount of trepidation I mounted the steps to the bus and took my seat. We raced up the road, horn blowing as we whipped around each hairpin turn. The variety of trees changed as we ascended into the clouds (yes, clouds). I felt no great joy when it started to rain and the roads turned a slick looking black.

We passed a gorge slashed out of the side of the mountain and down to the sea. It looked like a scene out of Lord of the Rings. 


Unfortunately, when we reached the summit, the clouds had socked in and there was a slight drizzle. All around us a thick grey fog obscured our vision. Carm was the only one who wanted off the bus, so he was out voted and we turned around to make our way back to Funchal. Luckily it took an easier, less hair raising route.

When we reached the city we disembarked the bus in the center of the town. It was a short walk to the winery where we got to taste a few varieties of Madeira - we bought a bottle to bring home. 


A small park was adjacent to where we were meeting the bus so we putzed around taking photos and buying trinkets from the craftspeople.



And that was it. We are now on the ship catching our breath before we decide what to do before supper. This was our last port before Fort Lauderdale in 7 days time. It’s been a wonderful whirlwind of sights and experiences. Starting tonight we’ll be on the open Atlantic ocean… I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good weather. Maybe even swimming weather.

We had supper tonight with Bonnie & Mike again. It was another comedian in the theatre, and even though we’d seen him before (and it was more or less the same show), we laughed and laughed. I saw many people wiping their eyes as they left the theatre.

One flight of stairs down brought us to Take 5, the jazz bar. We settled in and ordered our drinks - a cranberry juice for Carm and an extra special gin & tonic for me. My drink was full of botanicals and citrus. Cardamom and basil was a special twist on an old classic. 


I savoured every sip.





After the band finished playing we traversed the length of the ship to where the Princess band was doing an Eric Clapton tribute. They were great, but I’m afraid to say that my eyelids were drooping… so here I am, just about to crawl into bed.

Good night!

No comments: