Saturday, December 18, 2021

a week

It was a week ago today that we sent Spike into the next life and as I am writing this we would have been putting him in the ground. I’ve gone from raw anguish that seemed unbearable to a quiet grief. Oh, there are still the occasional tears either behind my eyes or breaking through but it’s better.



I’m getting through this by tossing around lots of flour, butter, and sugar. With a few extra ingredients the trio are transforming into a myriad of tasty treats. It’s a good diversion. Today I made the dough for gingerbread cookies and for Serinakaker, a Norwegian cookie that I’ve never made. I’ll bake them on Sunday.


Yesterday the provincial government instituted more restrictions with omicron on the horizon. Private gatherings are limited to 10 people…



Awesome!


“being in the right place at the right time - double awesome”

“soft bread dough in my hands”

“spicy scent of gingerbread dough”



“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

― Mary Oliver, Dog Songs

No comments: