Friday, December 24, 2021

Merry Christmas Eve

 Merry Christmas! It’s 9pm on Christmas Eve and we are snug in the house while Santa braves the nasty winter weather. Not bad yet, but the forecast has freezing rain in it - boo hiss! 



The uplifting notes of Christmas carols are filling in the gaps between my sadness, slowly pushing grief into smaller spaces. I’ve only cried once today (well, twice now that I’m writing it down), and yesterday was the same. Much better than Wednesday when I cried all day… the image of Spike at the bottom of a cold dark hole is being replaced by happier visions. I suppose time will be the healer.


Wednesday was a rough day, a really rough day. At one point I stood beside the bed and shifted my weight onto one leg as I prepared to crawl under the covers. I knew that it would be ascending Mount Doom to give into that desire, so I turned around and left the room. I had a Christmas movie recorded on the PVR so plonked myself down for 2 hours of mindless ‘fun’. It didn’t quite do the trick but luckily we had plans to go to Trudie & Leo’s for supper which managed to get me out of my funk.



Yesterday I bustled around all day trying to get all the work done so that today I could lie around in my pjs watching movies. Carm helped me with the tourtiere - first by grating frozen butter for the crust and then by cooking the meat so carefully. Then we got the Christmas Morning Wife saver assembled and into the ice chest… errr... I mean garage. I even got the wrapping done!


Today was meant to be a day of rest, however the bright sun motivated me to make another batch of Chinese chews and then a cheese ball. In between all that we did laundry but I didn’t get the place vacuumed - we’ll have to live with dirt for another few days.


We had a simple charcuterie board for supper tonight with olives and pickles, cheese and meats, baguette and crackers. And of course now that it’s Christmas we’ll have cookies!



Awesome!


“bright sunshine 2 days in a row”

“Hallmark Christmas movie that distracted me for a few hours”

“another tray of Chinese chews out of the oven”

“Adia shadowing me”



“You think those dogs will not be in heaven! I tell you they will be there long before any of us.”

― Robert Louis Stevenson


No comments: