Saturday, December 11, 2021

the final hours

 Freezing rain greeted us this morning, in fact it was pouring so hard that Spike got soaked (bring an umbrella next time!). He still managed to get everything done outside so I consider that a win. He was actually running around a bit which sounds good but it left his affected leg in even worse shape. He bit me when I picked him up so he must be in some pain. I upped his meds a bit for today.


Our world is getting smaller and smaller as we cater to Spike’s infirm limitations. He had 2 bad days but yesterday seemed a bit better so the guillotine has been stayed for now, pending results of his day today. His symptoms seem to wax and wane over the days, leaving us confused and unsure of what to do. I’ve come to believe that taking special care of him (or anyone?) draws me closer and perhaps makes parting more painful.


Thursday night we did a bit of rearranging of furniture so that the futon mattress was right on the floor. With Spike in my arms and Adia at my feet we passed a restless night. Spike’s been wanting to sleep in my arms for several nights now - I’m not sure who is comforting who. Carm wasn’t much better off in our bed by himself, alone with his imagination. 


Luckily for all of us we could get him to sleep soundly in our bed last night so we are all a bit more rested today..


We did have a nice supper with Pat Thursday night.It was our worst and saddest day to date so we needed a friendly face badly.


Yesterday we hit up the stores so I could get ingredients for 2 more kinds of cookies: Aperol spritz and Chinese Chews. Carm deeked into a local pharmacy and got us on a waiting list for the covid booster (edit: time slots on Dec 16th!). And we couldn’t pass up burgers at the newly opened A&W.


After our trip to the grocery store I bundled up in a blanket to watch a sappy Christmas movie. It was a salve to my soul, if only for a few hours. But the commercials!!! Oh yuck! They were constant. I’ve got 2 recorded on the PVR now for next time.


An interesting observation: at the grocery store everyone that I saw had their masks on soon after getting out of their cars (or put them on in their car), and kept them on until back at the car. At the Giant Tiger lots of people put the mask on as they were stepping over the threshold and whipped them off at the same place coming out. So if anyone was sick they were spreading to everyone who went in and came out.


I’m sorry that I’m oversharing but I feel the need to talk but can’t have an actual conversation as I just cry and can’t get my words out.


… oh boy… another post to follow


Awesome!


“Spike doing better”

“timeslots for our covid booster! Yay Carm”

“baking challenge: cream cheese sugar cookies”

“everyone wearing a mask at the store”



No comments: