Monday, December 13, 2021

ain't no sunshine

 It was a beautiful day today with strong sun.

Adia seems bewildered by all the changes in the house: furniture disappearing, dog beds gone, no Spike. At first she’d be at my side when the sobs came but they’ve reduced and she’s no longer as concerned. I don’t know if she realises that he’ll never come back. She did give me a thorough sniff when we were back from the vet - is there a distinct smell from his passing? We didn’t let her see his body.


Two more angels darkened our doorway last night but instead of an overnight bag they had baskets of food. Carm went to the back of our wine cellar and dusted off our best bottle of wine - a 2009 Amarone - and we gathered around the table, plates full of ham, scalloped potatoes, and green beans. A feast for the stomach and wine for the soul.



Today was better and I could actually do things without fear of a salted water infusion… so Aperol Spritz cookies spurted out of the new cookie press. It was fun to see a forest of cookie trees sprout on the cookie sheets. I haven’t glazed them yet but just naked the flavour is fantastic! I made two batches which once I put them in containers seems like an awful lot of cookies! The smell of the house is out of the world!



Carm felt a need to get out so I joined him on a trip to the city. I did have something in mind: orange sugar sprinkles for the Aperol cookies. I was pleased to find what I wanted at Bulk Barn and thrilled with the intense colour. I bought some pink sprinkles too as they were a fantastic hue.


For a few minutes I had a lamb leg in our cart… I so want to do a lamb roast someday… but Carm isn’t a fan so I put it back. Maybe someday.




Awesome!


“friends”

“brilliant orange sugar”

“the new cookie recipe was a treat for the taste buds”


Ain't no sunshine when he's gone

Only darkness every day

Ain't no sunshine when he's gone

And this house just ain't no home

Anytime he goes away

~Bill Withers with a bit of creative licence of removing a few ‘s’es.

No comments: