Saturday, July 22, 2017

blossom in my heart

That thunderstorm that I wrote about a few days ago never came so now we’ve had a few days (3?) with no rain. The hay was cut yesterday and now lays in the field, flat and shriveling. Our fingers are crossed for a few more nice days.

Soon we’ll have our field back and there will be no excuses for not going for a walk.

Carm golfed again yesterday, and I putzed around the house getting the odd thing done. It seems I can fill my time with a whole lotta nothing to show for it. I did get some of the cooking done for supper though.

We had Cathey, a friend of Carm’s from early days of university, over for supper last night. They’ve kept in touch all these years and we manage to get together a few times a year. Cathey is sometimes a strict vegan so can be a challenge to make something. I generally cook vegan(ish), but am not adverse to using chicken broth, worcestershire sauce and other taboo ingredients. We are cutting way back on salt and added fats as well which makes for some tricky cooking.

I’m out on the swing with the dogs. In the past I wouldn’t normally relax with them loose, Spike would be sure to disappear on some game trail or another. It’s a sign he’s getting older now though - he went for a totter around the grass and was back up on the deck before I could call him. It’s nice that he’s so good but horrible that he’s getting old.

Scrap that thought about Spike. He and Bella just raced off to the barn where the critters are :-( … back from chasing them down from the middle of the hay field. Grrrr... The poodles do like to track things down.

A trip to the utility room in the basement last night revealed a watery stream snaking its way across the floor. We followed the track to the water pipes and spied a leak. Droplets of water dripped onto the floor in some sort of slow motion water torture. Luckily there is a shut off valve for that section of pipe. No air conditioning until we track down a plumber, but we’ll survive - it’s not been horribly hot.

Oh! Four years ago today we left on our epic journey to Alberta.

And when you crush an apple with your teeth, say to it in your heart:
Your seeds shall live in my body,
And the buds of your tomorrow shall blossom in my heart,
And your fragrance shall be my breath,
And together we shall rejoice through all the seasons.”
~Kahlil Gibran

No comments: