Sunday, September 9, 2018

midway

Written on Saturday, Sept 8: I was pretty sure yesterday that it was the last day for swimming and unfortunately I was right. The pool was a crisp 69F this morning - my cut-off is 71F... so I wailed and cried and carried on... in my head. The prospect of a cool swim is what keeps me going on the treadmill some days. Somehow a shower just doesn't cut it.

We have been up to the usual stuff, in other words, not much but enough to keep the boredom away.

For starters, last Sunday, my brother Graham came for a visit with his two kids. I thought for sure they'd be in and out of the pool in a flash as we'd had a few cold days, but no, they had fun for over 1/2 hour. It was great to see them splashing around.

Monday I clipped the poodles while Carm roasted 1/2 bushel of red peppers. We got them for such a great deal at Freshco that we had to make the trip into the city to get another box. That was Tuesday.

Wednesday we had another power outage - unbelievable! And us with a generator beside the house, not yet hooked up. So we futzed around the house, went to the village for lunch, and then got a start on the next batch of peppers. It is amazing how a giant box roasts down to a few little stacks. But now we have 20+ meal sized bags of peppers in the freezer. Now I just have to remember to use them.

Friday we had Jo Ellen and Don here for supper. I had hoped to eat outside, but I think those days are over (although the forecast for late next week looks good). Still, we managed to enjoy some time on the back deck before and even after supper.


Sunday... we got busy and I forgot to post my blog yesterday. We remembered in the nick of time that we planned to spend the afternoon at the Russell Fair Craft Beer Fest. It was a beautiful day, although slightly cool, with not a cloud in the sky. The fair was busy with kids and parents enjoying the sights. We headed straight to the beer tent and got busy testing :-)  Lots of vendors with kegs of their wares. A band played.

Partway through the afternoon there was a trampoline show which was a lot of fun to watch. The acrobats were talented!

After we had had some lunch and tasted all we were going to taste, we wandered through the rest of the fair. There were 4H shows (which we missed), a petting zoo with cute goats and sheep, displays of garden and field produce - we were proud to see that neighbors and friends had won some prizes, and of course a rinky dink midway. I couldn't convince Carm to try to win me a stuffed prize.


"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” 
~Martin Luther King Jr.


No comments: