Friday, September 14, 2018

spectacular September

I was out walking the dogs at 6 am this morning, but it was no hardship. It was a spectacular dawn with the sun below the horizon and a red glow colouring the lake. It was dark enough that I needed my headlamp to pick up the business. The air was still. Carm was out the door as soon as I got back - golf...

We arrived here at Riverside yesterday a few minutes past 1pm and got set up and settled in quickly. Even the satelitte setup went well. I don't know how they knew, but yesterday morning the dogs started crying and running to the truck anytime they went outside. I'd been loading stuff into the camper for days (not piles and piles of stuff, but enough trips to be noticable), but it wasn't until yesterday that they got excited. I must exude a sense of urgency or something that they pick up on.

The forecast for the next few days is great: highs in the mid 20s, lows in the high teens, and sun, lots of sun.


I had a shock on tuesday morning when I fired up my tablet. The words 'Lady is dead' flashed on my screen. What????? I opened the message from Jo Ellen and got the whole story. Poor little Lady dropped dead with a massive cornary. If I was shocked I could only imagine what Jo Ellen and Don were feeling. I messaged her... but it wasn't until late in the day when I figured I could speak to her. I was too choked up to be any help.

Dreams of Spike getting killed and Bella dying haunted my night. I woke up many times to think of my dear friends and their tragic loss. Lady was central to their lives. When visiting us, she was rarely out of their arms. She was a charming tiny poodle, perfect in conformation and perfect in temperment.

A toast to Lady and all the love she brought.


I can't think of anything else that happened this week... surely something interesting happened. Well, yes. We had supper at Trudie & Leo's - the final bbq of the season and we even got to eat outside. It was a lovely evening in her spectacular garden, although the late flowers did attract bees and one of them stung Leo.

Most of the week was spent getting ready for our camp. I have to say that thoughts of selling the villetta crossed my mind. Were our camping days over? I certainly wasn't in the mood but reminded myself that I've felt this way before and have always been glad once we were here. I never want it to end. So I guess it is pure laziness that colours my thinking.

I took the dogs out for a 35-40 minute walk later this morning when the heat was already starting to rise. We didn't do the whole walk, but cut it short when Bella was panting like crazy and Spike was lagging behind. Kabira didn't seem keen to carry on either. I guess it will take a few days for them to get back into the groove. I'll try to get out earlier tomorrow to beat the heat. Imagine having to beat the head in mid September!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love our villetta? I love puttering around the small space, music playing, and dogs snoring. My little vaccum makes short work of the floors, and a swiffer duster skims the surfaces easily. I didn't wash the floor this morning, I'll do that tomorrow.

Oh wait! I see a bit of dust that I missed.


No comments: