Tuesday, September 18, 2018

new friends and guests

I thought I would get a start on my blog now, while we are waiting for Jo Ellen and Don to arrive, but my blog is going crazy and won't load. I have to read what I wrote last time as I can't remember at all where I left off. I think it was just before supper with Lynne & Ed, but I'm not certain. And I can't remember what I wrote about Janet, Brian, Mary and Gary. Suffice it to say, we've had a busy and wonderful few days.


I guess I'll go back as far as supper. I whipped together some rice with sausage, and some roasted cauliflower; Lynne and Ed brought a ceaser salad and a pie for dessert. We were able to eat outside and enjoyed a beautiful evening with lots of interesting and sometimes spirited (I mean that in the best of ways), conversation.

Sunday morning I had coffee with them and then we headed out as a group to Upper Canada Village for the Fall Fair. It was (bloody) hot - I think it got up to 30C with a humidex of 37C. Middle of summer weather in the middle of September. Wow. We walked around for an hour or two and then met with Trudie & Leo at Willards for lunch. A bit more walking around - we were all like limp dishclothes at this point - and then parted company with a promise to meet at camping again in a few weeks.

After a quick discussion and a check of the dogs, Carm and I were on our way home for a swim. Oh! The exctasy of cool water on hot skin. It was worth the drive.


We were hardly back at camp for a minute when plans for supper in Cornwall were made with our new camping friends across the way. Again, we all piled into Brian's buick and drove the 20+ minutes to a fish & chips place in Cornwall. We had a good meal. There is something about breaking bread with people that draws us together. It must be an ancient memory from our caveman days when gathering with other tribes around the campfire cemented ties.

I turned 56 yesterday and had a quiet celebration with my parents. It only seems right to celebrate with them as I am only here  because of them.


This has not been a camp of quiet reflection with only each other to distract, but one of creating new friendships and celebrating already existing ones.

It HAS been a camp with a pesky earworm that just won't quit. LAST TUESDAY (that's a week), I was on the treadmill listening to music... 'Patricia the Stripper' by Chris DeBurg came on and darn it all, the music has not left my brain for more than a second. Over and over, 1000s of times, that song has spun in my head. I'm going crazy.


much, much later in the day...

It is 7:30pm and we've said good-bye to Jo Ellen and Don. We had a lovely day with them - coffee in the camper, lunch outside at the picnic table, afternoon in chairs in the dappled shade, supper at the Acapulco. We've travelled with them (in fact they were the people who got us started on cruising), so it was hard to see them go - it seems like should have been in the 'cabin' next door.


I'm too tired to get the photos off my phone (and where exactly is it? oh yea, over by the door in the dog walking poop bag carrying bag.) Tomorrow.


No comments: