Saturday, December 14, 2019

Christmas unveiled

I’m trying to motivate myself to haul out some Christmas decorations to make at least a half hearted attempt at being festive. Not that I’m feeling bah humbug, quite the opposite, for the first time in several years we are looking forward to Christmas. It’s just there are 4 big bins of decorations, many of which I won’t use - my first task should be to organize everything… but that just seems overwhelming.

I also feel confounded by all the stuff sitting around already and hardly need the detrus of decorations. But it might be a nice change to swap things out.

Maybe I’ll enlist Carm’s help and at least get the boxes upstairs.

… much later in the afternoon:

I harnessed Carm as the workhorse and got him to carry a bunch of big plastic bins upstairs, while I got busy spreading good cheer. With Christmas music playing on the stereo I started, thinking I’d just get a bit done, but as so often happens, once the inertia is overcome, I didn’t stop until the candles were lit and I was walking around with an eggnog in my hand, enjoying the results.



The sky is fully socked in, not the most motivating of weather, but with candles glowing and lights twinkling it feels warm and cosy.



I played music for a bit longer while I made the batter for yorkshire pudding, and then in a rush of pity for Carm, turned it off. Lucky for me there wasn’t anything interesting on CNN so we watched ½ of ‘Blazing Saddles’ (brilliant), followed by ‘Cat Baloo’ (also good). 


Depression weighs you down like a rock in a river. You don't stand a chance. You can fight and pray and hope you have the strength to swim, but sometimes, you have to let yourself sink. Because you'll never know true happiness until someone or something pulls you back out of that river--and you'll never believe it until you realize it was you, yourself who saved you.”
~Alysha Speer

No comments: