Sunday, December 15, 2019

deck the halls

Yesterday I put up one of my ancient garlands with the thought that I wouldn’t do any more… today (after some digging around to find the missing bin), I dressed the rest of the windows. I had forgotten how much they transform the room, and with the freshly fallen white snow outside the window it resembles an evergreen forest, one that’s been embellished with gold ribbons and tiny gold stars. They bring the outside in, but at the same time make the house seem cosy and warm. An enigma.


I got these garlands 23 years ago, in the first year or two of living in the house. For years they graced the windows from December to March, but 9 years ago we painted and for some reason I never put them up again. They are losing lots of needles, much like a fresh garland, but are otherwise holding up well. I’d say it was a good buy all those years ago.


It was impossible to get a decent photo with the sun streaming in.


Adia went crazy in the snow, running and skidding and running and skidding, tossing frozen apples in the air and leaping around. Spike was more sober in his excitement but in his elderly way, it was clear that he was enjoying the snowfall. Oh to be oblivious to the icy roads and treacherous driving.



Carm is no longer away a few times a week to visit his mother… I’d use his absences to blast music and dance around. Today I would have played the ‘Mormon Tabernacle Choir’ at top volume. Instead we listened to a car show, followed by golf, followed by CNN. I finally spoke up so Carm flicked the TV off and I played some Christmas music at a somewhat lower volume than I might have… I’m not really complaining - it’s nice to have him home, but gosh I miss the loud music!


The test we must set for ourselves is not to march alone but to march in such a way that others will wish to join us.”
~Hubert Humphrey

No comments: