Sunday, June 13, 2021

a sewing skirmish

 I had a skirmish with the sewing machine today. It started off well with a bit of webbing formed into a belt, and a bit more to make up a set of bells for Adia on the trailer. Then my endeavours took a downturn.


I had a vision (ha ha, my first problem) of a cross-body bag to carry my phone, some dog treats, and a roll of poo bags. Simple right. NOT! I spent days figuring out what gets sewn where and what turns inside out before being sewn onto the next piece. I broke it down into little steps which seemed to be going well. First the poo bag holder was made then sewn onto the back of the bag. Then the strapping. So far so good. 


The front would have the treat pouch which seemed simple enough (foreshadowing). I forgot to fashion a flap to go over the phone section so had to kludge something lame. Finally the front and back were sewn together. With bated breath I turned everything right side out… and tried to put my hand in the treat section. Epic Fail.


Fiddlesticks (not my exact words). Yes, I had to rip apart almost the whole bag!!!! At one point at the beginning of the project I had considered using a thread that wasn’t the exact colour of the fabric but took my chances.  


I made a few hacked changes and finished it back up. Well, it’s functional but looks like crap. I should accept my limitations and buy stuff pre-made. Having said that, I’ve given it more thought and think I can make something better. I’m nothing if not stubborn.


the treat pouch after some ‘creative’ changes


the bag dispenser. This part actually works.


general crappy implementation



Remind me to never take up quilting.



Awesome!


“swimming on a gorgeous day”

“Adia zooming around me”

“the smell of baking cookies”

“visiting Mom & Dad in the laneway under the apple trees with the fragrance of peonies”

“pink lemonade”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Projects always become easier the second time around after one gets the kinks ironed out! Still looks good.
A lovely laneway visit it was!!