Tuesday, July 5, 2022

pylons

 Deck refurbish day 2: I have the most persistent ear worm that I’ve had for a long time. ‘Roy’, the deck builder’s 63 year old helper, has triggered the song ‘pardon me Roy, is that the chattanooga choo choo’ or alternatively ‘pardon me Roy, is that the cat that chewed your new shoes’! 


Like a race car in the pits, the house is a hub of activity this morning… deck builders in the back and plumbers in the basement are productively swarming. It’s wonderful and yet weird having all these strangers around. I took the dogs into the field for a run around but Lupa is still wired and ready to jump up at the slightest sound (actually she was much better after the walk). She jumps into my arms when I pick her up so I know she’s upset and wants to be comforted.


It’s 11:30 am - three loads of wood have been delivered; the hot water tank is almost installed; the guys in the back are working hard at getting the posts in. Our heavy clay is creating a lot of extra work. 



This morning I made 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies and a bunch have been gobbled already :-) I feel like I’m channeling Aunty Rena as I bustle around making coffees and baking stacks of cookies. I’m not making full meals for half a dozen hungry farm workers though! 


I remember everyone gathering around her kitchen table which was groaning with the weight of the food she’d prepared. When I stayed with her one summer oh so many years ago, I helped her harvest produce from her huge garden. There was no running water in the house at that time yet she managed to grow and preserve enough food to get them through the winter. I was only 13 at the time and didn’t appreciate the work that went into those homey feasts.



Awesome!


“a little patch of tiny daisies”

“3 dozen cookies”

No comments: