Thursday, September 1, 2022

passing through

 Our first visitor this morning arrived as I was getting dressed. A movement in the yard caught my eye and there was Adia outside. What the heck! I was sure I hadn’t left her out there (she’s never out by herself) but maybe I was losing it. No… there she was right beside me!



I dashed outside to see the interloper - he was a huge dog that looked to be a ridgeless ridgeback or maybe a great dane mix. Whatever he was, he was gorgeous and scared. I posted on facebook then called the township. It turns out the big guy was from a few miles away and on the other side of the bridge that is under construction - how he found himself at our place is a mystery. Anyway, the township picked him up and were able to contact his owner so he’s home safe and sound.


Later, I was hanging out in the kitchen doing something with food and out of the corner of my eye I saw a huge black thing - that thing had 4 other things with it. Turkeys! Giant turkeys! Thanksgiving came to mind… They wandered off but I saw them again later in the afternoon down by the pond. Maybe it was a good day for a bath. Good for turkeys but not good for people, at least not outdoor baths. A hot bath in the house, yes. It’s freezing today and the pool is below 70F so no cold dunks for me.



Tuesday Carm brought home a ½ bushel of roma tomatoes so the last few days I cooked and cooked. I made another batch of tomato bacon jam for the freezer on Tuesday. Yesterday I made a big pot of sauce (3 for the freezer & 1 for the weekend), and roasted 4 batches of tomatoes (all for the freezer). I can use the roasted tomatoes for soup or a sauce or jam. Summer in a jar.


Things continue to be okay with the drop in lithium although I had a bit of a scare last night as I was spinning a bit. In the evening I am generally exhausted so usually just chill in front of the TV or with a book but I was jumping up to do something every few minutes… I was energetic… believe it or not this is not a good sign. I feel a little bit racy today but maybe because we have visitors coming tomorrow (fingers crossed).


Trudie & Leo came for a simple supper on Tuesday - it was clean out the fridge day which made for an interesting soup. We each had a few crostini with cream cheese & bacon jam while we waited (for ages) for the soup to finish cooking. I didn’t promise a feast! Trudie returned the hospitality tonight making up in number of dishes and complexity of dessert for my paltry fare. She smoked the brisket herself after brining and sitting with a dry rub which made it 10x better than the one I cooked last weekend.



Wednesday morning Christina and her sister Annagriet came for a visit. I was in the thick of tomatoes but we managed to have a nice visit anyway.


September weather is here… but we’ll get a few hot days on the weekend. Hopefully there will be a few more swimming days!


Carm has transported 1 more chippy for a total of 10.



Awesome!


“a stack of containers to go down to the freezer”

“dog catcher getting Rex home”

“puppy falling back asleep in the middle of the night”

“Grace dancing with me”

“hearing about Christina’s trip”

No comments: