Monday, September 19, 2022

pomp and circumstance

 It’s Monday morning and I’m cuddled up under a fluffy blanket with the tv tuned to the Queen’s funeral. My fingers are flying across the keyboard in a vain attempt to capture the wonderful weekend. We are glad to be home as the furnace on the camper isn’t working and it’s f’n freezing outside with cold rain. It’s only 11C. Brrrrr!



A trip back in time back to Friday mid-afternoon when Carm and I arrived at the villetta. Once we were settled, Kirsten and I went to the grocery store (which we didn’t really need to do as there was heaps of food especially as some people cheated out and had supper on their way to the farm). Olaf, Stephanie and Freya arrived in the early evening and the party commenced. It was a late night but not overdone… bedtime was 11pm…



I woke up and looked at the clock… 12:01am… officially 60. I thought to go outside with a sparkler but was too snuggled into a heap of blankets.


this next bit was written on Saturday - the age turnover day - The sky this morning was hanging close to the ground, the grey tendrils trying to wind their way into my brain but that wasn’t going to happen to me this morning - I was expecting company for coffee! Everyone except Graham was in the trailer with us at one point or another, although not always at the same time!


When the last sibling left, Carm and I had a quick bite of breakfast and then headed out for a long walk with the dogs. I wanted them good and tired as they were going to be spending some serious crate time over the next few hours. We got back with just half an hour to get ready for our exciting outing.


Shenna, the oldest of my nieces, is the Illusion Technician at the Smiths Falls Theatre so of course we had to go. A bunch of us piled into cars for the short drive to the theatre and grabbed the closest seats available - even though we were there almost ½ hour early it was quickly getting packed. I believe it was a sold out show. So much magic!  How did he do it? I don’t know and don’t want to know - I love embracing the impossible.


Carm and I rested (?) for a few minutes before getting ready for the evening's festivities. Kirsten was hosting supper again as there are far too many people to have the family at the villetta. Supper (garlic ribs, Kirsten’s amazing wings, brie w tomato jam, dips, crackers, veggies, cheesecake bites) was a feast - as usual we over-catered! Shawn put on some music after we’d eaten and the dancing commenced. We all danced and some of us sang… it was a good time for all!


“Gather Together”!


Back to today’s prose: Sunday we started getting ready for brunch. Mom, Dad, and as a special surprise, Aunty Kristine, arrived at 10:30am laden with gifts and 2 cakes: chocolate for Olaf and Angel food for me :-) Mom has baked an angel food cake for my birthday for decades now. We feasted again, opened presents, and had a grand ole time.



Carm and I left around 5:30, heading for home with a detour east to meet Stephanie so that she could collect all the stuff they forgot at Kirsten’s.


That brings us to this morning and the Queen’s funeral procession. The interviews of the bystanders have been interesting - even young boys are grieving her loss - I understand better how the monarchy draws people together regardless of their political beliefs or ethnicity. A common bond surrounded by pomp and circumstance!


You all know that I have a hair trigger for crying but I was fine through the funeral procession until they passed her favorite horse standing at the side of the road. Thank goodness they didn’t have her dogs there as well or I really would have lost it!


oh shift… there are the corgis…



Awesome!


“magic”

“getting the water pump working again”

“siblings gathering together”

“Kirsten’s present - oh my gosh I laughed and laughed”

“the gorgeous earrings that Carm got me”

“getting safely home, although the house was freezing”



No comments: