Thursday, October 6, 2022

the beetles

 Yesterday afternoon swarms of biting Asian beetles drove us back into the house before we could do more than wash Grace’s cage. Carm had planned on installing a new light fixture but with those damn things flying into every crevice and cranny it seemed prudent to stay off the ladder.


I tried going out with the dogs and chilling on the swing but alas, the swing was crawling with the nasty insects. Back inside I could see them flying through the air, looking for somewhere to winter. Not down my shirt or in my ear… no F’n way! Later in the afternoon I retired to a hot bath and even there, outside of the window, the orange nastys bonked against the glass.



Monday and Tuesday I made batches of cheesecake bites - Skor for Kirsten; the others were meant to be raspberry but I forgot to add the raspberries! So they are plain jane boring. Today I popped one of Adia’s turkey necks into the instant pot to make some broth for the weekend feast. The house smells like a turkey buffet but without the joy of actually eating mounds of fluffy mashed potatoes and heaps of stuffing.


Pat joined us for supper on Sunday. She brought some yummy molasses cookies. They were so good I decided to try making them for myself. Google brought me a promising recipe but unfortunately they didn’t turn out anything like Pat’s. I undercooked them too which didn’t help their palitibility. 



The instant pot has been throwing a C8 code at us occasionally. Boo hiss.


Late yesterday afternoon while I was pondering what to make for supper, Trudie called with an invite for supper! 




Awesome!


“safe behind glass”

“walking around the field”

“fog drifting across the hay field”

“gorgeous fall colours”


No comments: