Wednesday, May 29, 2024

only a smurf for a day

 Well! I am feeling great today :-) It was as I expected before I had the pre-op meeting which scared me into thinking I would be decrepit and barely able to do anything - I can’t lift more than a pound or two, but have almost full range of motion and the pain is easily managed with Tylenol and Advil. I expect I'll be able to cut one of them out tomorrow!


I had nightmares of getting to the hospital on time - so many obstacles to get there, but calmed down once we were on our way and by the time I was sitting in the waiting room I was ready - Carm was perhaps more anxious than I was ;-) 


The nurse got me in and all prepped so I was just waiting to be wheeled into the OR when a woman burst into the room, introduced herself as the head OR nurse and told me that Dr. Carrier was sick and wouldn't be able to do the surgery! WHAT THE ACTUAL F! She quickly said that he'd arranged with a colleague to take over - she had done lots before, maybe even more than he had - so of course I agreed right away. I'd only seen him once so had no special attachment, plus it felt better that it was a woman.


A string of doctors and nurses came into my room to introduce themselves and tell me what the plan was - they were all lovely and one of the doctors said I could start up cannabis after recovery when I explained all the help it was giving me :-) 


Not too long after, I was on the table and asleep… then in no time (although maybe it was two and a half hours), I was waking up in the recovery room. It took a while for me to warm up (so much shivering!), but then I was in the wheelchair being taken out to Carm. It all went really well and I think the doctor said they only had to take one or two lymph nodes out which is awesome.


Lots of ‘Ted Lasso’ and lounging on the sofa once we got home, but not before stopping at Tim's for a breakfast sandwich 😀  I had to choke it down, my throat was sore and dry, but I managed it ;-) I was starving!


The dogs were quieter than usual and perhaps a bit more clingy. Lupa stopped herself from climbing all over me - I’m pretty sure they knew something was up.


All in all, a good experience, and I'm a bit embarrassed that I made such a big thing about it!


Oh! I did turn blue for a while but with lots and lots of fluid I think I've flushed most of it out and look almost like a normal person today!


Mom and Dad came out to see me this morning while Carm was golfing - they brought me a lovely pot of flowers for the deck which I will be able to enjoy all summer. However, I ended up doing a bit too much in the first part of the day and am paying for it this afternoon… I'm more tired and my heart rate is speeding along at 38 bpm 😱 



Awesome!


“waking up and feeling fine”

“the staff at the hospital”

“all the support from you guys - I know all your thoughts and good wishes made a difference!”

No comments: