Monday, June 3, 2024

getting there

 Saturday was a bit too busy so yesterday I was in resting mode again. My day had started with 50 minutes on the treadmill, then we were off to Quebec to pick up dog food - a two hour journey. Once home we had to move the contents of the freezer in the hot garage into the smaller one in the cooler basement. Carm did the lion's share of the work, but I did too much lifting and hefting in and out in an effort to make room. A job for later in the summer is to go through the freezers to better organize and purge. My inventory is massively out of date.


By the end of that activity I was sore and tired… it should not have been the day to reduce the antiinflammatories… 


Carm took over making most of supper while I rested… he cooked the salmon with just a few shouted instructions, and of course he already knew how to heat a can of green beans (for some odd reason I love canned green beans but despise fresh ones!). I took care of the rice pilaf - lots of garlic and chili crisp oil and some fennel seeds. I didn't bother with red peppers.


Bill Mayer’s closing monologue Friday night was about the passion of the young protesters, but suggested that another cause was imperative: apartheid for women. Women living under the thumb of men in countries that require them to cover themselves completely or get stoned to death need the world to get together to make changes. These are the rights we should be protesting for. The right to not be a child bride, the right to live without permission from men, the right to not be killed for having their own thoughts and views. The right to be a person, not just a piece of worthless property.


Instead of protesting for these men to have more rights we should be up in arms about the rights they don't allow women to have. We have to get loud about it but I don't know who will listen. What chance of making change do we have over countries with only men in power? What can we do?


I relaxed for much of the day yesterday, dozing in my cosy bed and stretched out on the outdoor sofa, all while Carm toiled vacuuming, cutting grass, and running errands for me. It was the life of luxury! But I was starving all day - no salad for lunch for me, instead I noshed on a big bowl of porridge with cocoa powder and strawberries, a poor substitute for the DQ Blizzard that was in my head - but so many fewer calories and sugar! A small Skor blizzard has 85g of sugar!!!!!


Kirsten mentioned having egg salad sandwiches which got my starving brain swirling with cravings - a quick change to supper menu from healthy beans & cabbage to creamy egg salad on thick slices of homemade whole grain bread. Yum! Sometimes cravings must be indulged!


This morning Carm has abandoned me for golf, leaving me to putter on the deck in this glorious morning. My favourite music is playing and ‘peaceful, easy feeling’ is making me relaxed, content, and even a bit languid. Oh the joys! I skipped walking again this morning (but chatted with Kirsten while she did hers), as the little strips under my arm are starting to fray and peel off - they are supposed to stay on for 7 to 10 days and I'm just at 6 days today - no sweating or abrasion for me today! It is impossible to keep an armpit still!


I've been starving since last Tuesday! And I've been sleeping better although waking up super early which is okay in the summer 😀 



Awesome!


“hot air balloon in the distance”

“peaceful morning”

“glorious summer day”

“freezer full of meat for the dogs”

“egg salad”

“a good night’s sleep”

No comments: