Wednesday, January 1, 2020

auld lang syne

The Rose Bowl parade just ended, the traditional bleary eyed, and sometimes hungover entertainment for New Years Day. This year there is no hangover, but I can’t seem to keep my eyes open after such a late night. 


Overnight going into the 31st we’d had freezing rain followed by snow. It was beautiful but we worried that the weather wouldn’t improve for supper (it did).




It was early in the day yesterday when we heard that Jo Ellen and Don wouldn’t make it for supper - she had a tummy bug. We were disappointed but understood. I reset the table. Then a few hours later Jim let us know he wasn’t coming. I reset the table. New Years Eve was starting to look like a bust with just 2 guests joining us. I texted Kirsten and told her that if anyone else cancels I’d pack up supper and descend on them! We knew last week that Shawn’s schedule was such that they couldn’t join us here :-(

A text later in the day that Shawn’s schedule had changed… I was slow to figure it out but suddenly it hit me - maybe they could join us after all as long as we had a late supper. A quick phone call and it was settled, we were going to be 8 for supper!!! I was excited and quickly got busy resetting the table (third time a charm!) I happily unearthed another set of fancy plates and glasses. 

All the work the previous two days paid off as it was a rather relaxing day. I had a schedule on the fridge so I’d know when to do the last steps - I get rather distracted once guests arrive and can get off track.


Cathey was the first to arrive and we sat visiting while I put the final touches on the mushroom crostini. Cheese, baby tomates, and olives, gave us something to nibble on. Pat was next to arrive and we all quickly got talking. Then Kirsten called to say they’d be a bit earlier so I put the soup on a little earlier. The beef went in. Kirsten, Shawn, and the girls arrived. Now it was a party!


I was so happy to have them all there that I had a foolish grin on my face all night. Shenna and Nissa probably thought I was demented!

We gathered around the table for the final meal of the year. As I looked around I couldn’t help but think of my good fortune. Carm, at the top of the table, was my rock. He’d been a full partner in all our preparations, much like he is in the rest of my life. Friends Cathey and Pat were on either side of me. I felt blessed to have these friendships. And then, at the other end of the table were Kirsten, Shawn, Shenna, and Nissa. I was filled with the warmth of love looking at them - I’m so glad they moved back to Canada. There were absent friends and family who were thought of fondly. 


I thought back to the past year - it was a bit of a rollercoaster: trip through the Panama canal, trip to Caribbean, Kirsten’s visit… then there were a lot of tears. Kabira, then Bella, and finally Carm’s mom, left us. During all of this was news of Kirsten’s return, Adia’s arrival, and then our trip to Europe.

Cathey deeked out early, leaving the rest of us to shout out the final 10 seconds of the decade. The new year was off to a great start!


What is there more kindly than the feeling between host and guest?”
~Aeschylus

No comments: